DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  separate agent

Posted Apr 13, 2016 12:43 PM

Hi, what is the best approach for managing multiple profile in a single installed agent directory ?

separate directory, many profile with many pbl ?

The agent installation is standardized by puppet, so its the same in all servers and all environnement. I must manage the specific with many profile : prod, qa, default profile and by type of application : tansactionnal,  batch (yes batch running on server application :-( ), application A, application B

With many options (pbd, tracer on/off) to fit for  each situation.

I take a look on this article maybe can fit in my situation :

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec594393.aspx

What is your point of view ?

PS : sorry for my english I hope it 's clear

Regards

• 2.  Re: separate agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 19, 2016 07:31 AM

Hi :
    Changing this to a discussion since more of a best practice. Asking Hiko_Davis Guenter_Grossberger for suggestions

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: separate agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 19, 2016 01:26 PM

The biggest problem with having a single agent installation with differing profiles mostly about management.

There are references to files in the agent profile that are relative paths, so you'll need to account for those if you choose to move the agent profile.

There is nothing that prevents you from keeping all of your custom profiles in <agent_home>/wily/core/config. You just reference them differently in your startup file(s).

I hope this answers your questions.

-Hiko

• 4.  Re: separate agent

Posted Apr 19, 2016 02:05 PM

In the organization I work for, I have one package for the agent code containing all the files necessary for all my servers types (WAS, Tomcat, ..).

We then create individual directories for the agent profile (and hotdeploy for the custom pbd) for each of the applications (or app servers) on that host.  The reason we went for individual profiles is that if one profile was shared by multiple servers and we were to enable some dynamic properties it would affect all servers at the same time.  In some cases that is exactly what you want...  Eventually the APM Command Center (ACC) will help manage these properties and more.

We used different subdirectories for the profile because the code (static/read only) and the agent profiles have different owners (for each application) and read / write permissions.