DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

• 1.  Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 04, 2016 11:51 AM

I have a metric grouping that reports on multiple metrics. The problem is, all metrics display in the same colour and symbol on the chart. I have tried deleting, copying, fiddling with the grouping but every time, the metrics appear with the same colour and symbol. Very confusing. The is 9.7.1 in the Workstation client.

it also appears on the dashboard the same way: colour and symbol are identical.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 05:49 AM

Hi:

Can you please provide a screen shot as an example?

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 05, 2016 11:34 AM

mm_problem.png

There are two metrics but with the same symbol and colour. When looking at the graph, it is impossible to determine which metric is which.

• 4.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 12:41 PM

Thanks for the screenshot. That should be sufficient for someone to provide an initial reply

• 5.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 05, 2016 01:41 PM

I do not think I ever observed this. I just spent a few minutes looking at my 9.7.16.  Although it reminds me of another situation where i could not see a highlight because my monitor's resolution and color settings were off.  Did you or a friend try this another PC + monitor and get the same result?

• 6.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 05, 2016 02:02 PM

Yes, others have observed this as well.

• 7.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 02:20 PM

Hi,

They also have the same shape.  The only way that could happen is if the metric group has duplicate metrics.  Even though the parts are crossed out in red, that is what looks like is happening.   I would look at your regex on your metric group.

Another way this could happen is if you have 2 agents of the same exact name from the same exact server and app.

Regards,
    Matt

• 8.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:29 PM

They are separate metrics. You can click them on and off separately . For example, the two tall points (3 value) report to the first metric and the trailing smaller points (1 value) report to the second metric.If I copy the metric grouping and separate the two metrics into their own (single metric) grouping, they still both have the same colour and shape.

Is there any way to change the colour or shape  manually?

• 9.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:42 PM

No, the shape and color cannot be changed.

Please open a support case on this.  There should be no 2 metrics like that.

• 10.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 05, 2016 04:00 PM

Yes looking at the metric paths one has 6043A and other has 6044A so they are distinct\unique metrics and shouldn't be painted with same color.

If possible try restarting EM\Workstation and see if it helps, if you have already done so in the past then open a support issue as this seems like a bug that needs to be investigated deeper.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 11.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 08, 2016 12:05 PM

Recycling the EM and workstation did not work. And yes, as Kulbir has pointed out, those are separate metrics. I'll open a case with CA.

Thanks,

Mike

• 12.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:50 PM

here is an example with both metrics and then each metric separately.

mm_problem2.png

• 13.  Re: Metrics Have Same Colour and Symbol

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:55 PM

It would be more helpful to have the full metric paths in the screenshots.  Then we can tell where they're coming from.