DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

• 1.  Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 21, 2015 09:40 PM

Hi All;

Wondering if anyone has had this issue in their environment.  We are currently running Introscope Workstation 9.7.x.  The workstation launches fine for our users who are on the business LAN, but, we have an issue for some of our users who are on a remote connection.  Seems that after the authentication process, the Workstation fails to load.

Support had mentioned that the issue was related to the number management modules and dashboards we have, and suggested increasing our Workstation timeout.  We tried 10 minutes but that didn't seem to help.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

• 2.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 09:43 PM

I would recommend those users to install the workstation locally (if they are admins or users who will be working on management modules), or use ATC/WebView.

• 3.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 21, 2015 10:45 PM

Hi Haruhiko;

Thanks for the suggestion.  To give this a test, I connected to my corporate network through VPN and verified that I wasn't able to launch the Introscope Workstation client.

I then took your suggestion and installed the workstation locally.

Seems to be doing the same thing

Heres the interesting thing that I noticed when watching the process w/ Process Explorer...

Capture.PNG

Looks like after about 3 minutes, the I/O completely dies.  (Dont mind the private bytes, I increased the heap size to 1024mb)

• 4.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 10:50 PM

Where did you install the workstation? If you installed in "Program Files (x86)", you need to give your shortcut "run as admin".

Right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties => Shotcut => Advanced => Run as administrator. Check the box and save the setting.

Start workstation again and let us know if it works.

• 5.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 21, 2015 10:55 PM

Yes I installed it in the default location (Program Files x86).  Just gave it a shot with administrative rights, doesn't look like that made any difference.

• 6.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 11:12 PM

Hi Paimon,

You could try to enable DEBUG logging in the WAS_HOME\config\IntroscopeWorkstation.properties to see if the WS_HOME\logs\IntroscopeWorkstation.log file will give more idea of root cause i.e. just replace INFO with DEBUG on this line

log4j.logger.Workstation=DEBUG, console, logfile

Regards,

Lynn

• 7.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 21, 2015 11:28 PM

One step ahead of ya :) unfortunately it doesn't create any logs!

Ah looks like i forgot to add the 'logfile' appender to the line.  I'll give that a shot tomorrow and will report back!  Thanks!

• 8.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2015 02:04 AM

Hi Paimon,

Any progress?

Thanks

Lynn

• 9.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 23, 2015 08:31 AM

Hi Lynn;

This is one of those "of course" scenarios right now lol. Once I enabled logging, I haven't had an issue loading the local installed client.  I dont see why the logging would "fix" it, so I am not declaring success yet.  I have a few other users enabling logging, and we are going to gather some information and post back.  Thanks for checking in!!

• 10.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 25, 2015 10:30 PM

Hi are you using same workstation version as you EM has????

• 11.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2015 10:33 PM

Good point - EM & Workstation versions must match.

In this case I had assumed Paimon already had them matched up because the Workstation was working on the business LAN.

• 12.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 28, 2015 11:04 AM

Yep same versions.

• 13.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 28, 2015 01:51 PM

Are you using WebStart? If so you might want to play with the initial JVM setting for WorkStation WebStart. The default is to start with a low of 64 and a high of 512.

<EM_HOME>\product\enterprisemanager\plugins\com.wily.introscope.workstation.

webstart_9.7.0\WebContent\jnlpworkstation.jsp

<j2se version="1.6*&1.6.0_05+"

java-vm-args="-Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true"

href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>

I have bumped mine up to 256 and 812 (I tried 1024 but had issues with some workstation)

You will have to have user clear their JAVA caches.

If you are using the Downloaded Workstation you can find the same parms in the WS directory...

See if that helps

• 14.  Re: Failure To Launch Introscope Workstation Over VPN (Slow Connection Issue?)

Posted Oct 28, 2015 01:55 PM

I am using the WebStart and have the same issue over VPN.  However, once I enable VERBOSE or DEBUG logging, the client typically loads.

I did capture this on one failure however.

10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [WARN] [Workstation.IsengardObjectInputStream] 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [DEBUG] [Workstation] Caught IO Exception while deserializing object. Stream probably corrupt. Last deserialized class: com.wily.introscope.spec.server.ColorWrapper java.io.EOFException at java.io.DataInputStream.readUnsignedShort(Unknown Source) at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source) at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readSerializable(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:993) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:368) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.ESEWidget.readExternal(ESEWidget.java:413) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:389) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.descriptor.ESEDashboardDescriptor.readExternal(ESEDashboardDescriptor.java:408) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.WireConstruct.readExternal(WireConstruct.java:78) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.DomainAwareTrackedConstruct.readExternal(DomainAwareTrackedConstruct.java:40) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.BundledTrackedConstruct.readExternal(BundledTrackedConstruct.java:43) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readArrayList(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:872) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readSerializable(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:997) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:368) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:389) at com.wily.isengard.messageprimitives.MethodCallMessage.readExternal(MethodCallMessage.java:133) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingMessageDeliveryTask.deliverNextMessage(IncomingMessageDeliveryTask.java:80) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingRouteConnector.receiveIncomingMessages(IncomingRouteConnector.java:170) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingRouteConnector.doTask(IncomingRouteConnector.java:89) at com.wily.isengard.util.thread.AThreadedExecutable.run(AThreadedExecutable.java:192) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [WARN] [Workstation.IsengardObjectInputStream] 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [WARN] [Workstation.IsengardObjectInputStream] 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [WARN] [Workstation.IsengardObjectInputStream] 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [DEBUG] [Workstation] Caught IO Exception while deserializing object. Stream probably corrupt. Last deserialized class: com.wily.introscope.spec.server.ColorWrapper java.io.EOFException at java.io.DataInputStream.readUnsignedShort(Unknown Source) at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source) at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readSerializable(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:993) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:368) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.ESEWidget.readExternal(ESEWidget.java:413) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:389) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.descriptor.ESEDashboardDescriptor.readExternal(ESEDashboardDescriptor.java:408) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.WireConstruct.readExternal(WireConstruct.java:78) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.DomainAwareTrackedConstruct.readExternal(DomainAwareTrackedConstruct.java:40) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.BundledTrackedConstruct.readExternal(BundledTrackedConstruct.java:43) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readArrayList(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:872) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readSerializable(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:997) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:368) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:389) at com.wily.isengard.messageprimitives.MethodCallMessage.readExternal(MethodCallMessage.java:133) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingMessageDeliveryTask.deliverNextMessage(IncomingMessageDeliveryTask.java:80) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingRouteConnector.receiveIncomingMessages(IncomingRouteConnector.java:170) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingRouteConnector.doTask(IncomingRouteConnector.java:89) at com.wily.isengard.util.thread.AThreadedExecutable.run(AThreadedExecutable.java:192) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [WARN] [Workstation.IsengardObjectInputStream] 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [DEBUG] [Workstation.IncomingMessageDeliveryTask] Unexpected end of stream while reading from node at: Socket Transport connected with Socket[addr=/<>,port=5001,localport=61933] java.io.EOFException at java.io.DataInputStream.readUnsignedShort(Unknown Source) at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source) at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readSerializable(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:993) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:368) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.ESEWidget.readExternal(ESEWidget.java:413) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:389) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.descriptor.ESEDashboardDescriptor.readExternal(ESEDashboardDescriptor.java:408) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.WireConstruct.readExternal(WireConstruct.java:78) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.DomainAwareTrackedConstruct.readExternal(DomainAwareTrackedConstruct.java:40) at com.wily.introscope.spec.server.beans.BundledTrackedConstruct.readExternal(BundledTrackedConstruct.java:43) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readArrayList(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:872) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readSerializable(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:997) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:368) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:389) at com.wily.isengard.messageprimitives.MethodCallMessage.readExternal(MethodCallMessage.java:133) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readIsengardDataObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:825) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IsengardObjectInputStream.readObject(IsengardObjectInputStream.java:347) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingMessageDeliveryTask.deliverNextMessage(IncomingMessageDeliveryTask.java:80) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingRouteConnector.receiveIncomingMessages(IncomingRouteConnector.java:170) at com.wily.isengard.postofficehub.link.v1.IncomingRouteConnector.doTask(IncomingRouteConnector.java:89) at com.wily.isengard.util.thread.AThreadedExecutable.run(AThreadedExecutable.java:192) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) 10/27/15 06:52:02 PM EDT [VERBOSE] [Workstation.PostOfficeHub] Disconnected From: Node=Server, Address=/<>:5001, Type=socket