DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION

Posted Apr 06, 2016 12:01 PM

Getting the following WARN every 2-4 seconds in my ever growing WebView logs.

WebView Server is separate and stand alone

EM/MoM server is separate and stand alone

DEBUG mode for the logs does not show anything additional at all.

Running APM v10.1

Any/all help will be greatly appreciated

4/06/16 11:21:48.196 AM EDT [WARN] [org.mortbay.log] EXCEPTION

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection during handshake

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:980)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1363)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1391)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1375)

at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SslSocketConnector$SslConnection.run(SslSocketConnector.java:675)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)

Caused by: java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectly

at sun.security.ssl.InputRecord.read(InputRecord.java:505)

at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:961)

... 5 more

• 2.  Re: WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2016 12:46 PM

Hello Mparikh72,

This is a client connection issue in which the client side of the SSL connection brought down the connection before the SSL handshake completed, which can happen if the browser sends a request but closes before server can reply back. This error can be specifically caused if you have not updated the default certificate used by Webview (as the connection is not trusted on the client side) . There should be no functional impact caused by the warnings though, so you can safely ignore them. Alternatively, using a certificate trusted on the client side should resolve the issue and switching Webview logging to Error or higher should prevent the error from appearing in the logs.

Gustavo.

• 3.  Re: WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2016 12:56 PM

Hi Manish,

These are just WARN messages and not an ERROR message.  It is indicating that the client side of the SSL connection is not making it as the handshake wasn't completed.  This can happen a lot of times if the browser sends a request but closes before the server can reply back.

If you have SSL enabled in Webview, are you using out of the box or have you modified those? 

Most likely this is caused if you are using the default SSL certificate that is shipped with Webview instead of using your own.  These messages have no impact on the funcationality.  If you change logging from

log4j.logger.org.mortbay=ERROR, console, logfile

to

log4j.logger.org.mortbay=INFO, console, logfile

you will not see those WARN messages anymore.

Also this could be impacted by the OS as well.

What browser and OS are you using?

Thanks,

Matt

• 4.  Re: WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION

Posted Apr 06, 2016 01:11 PM

strgu01 musma03

Thanks for you feedback. I am NOT using OOTB certs. How do I update the certs so that this WARN goes away rather than me tweaking the logging? The client side would be the browser, right? So, I do I delay the browser a bit so that it does stay open till the server replies back?

I am using Chrome on Windows 7

• 5.  Re: WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2016 08:40 AM

Hi Manish

So NOT using OOTB certs on Webview should eliminate this error. If needed, please open a case to pursue further

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION

Posted Apr 07, 2016 10:34 AM

Hallett_German

So even with using non-OOTB certs, I am still getting these WARN (constantly). I've change the logging to "ERROR" as per musma03 & strgu01 which is now reduce the log entrries for mortbay. I probably won't open up a CA support case b/c that just tends to elongate things.

For now I'll consider this issue resolved with ???

Thanks to all of you for assisting

• 7.  Re: WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2016 10:47 AM

Hi Manish,

Actually I said to change the logging to INFO and that will stop the WARN messages.

As for the certificate, you would upload that into Chrome via the advanced settings.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 8.  Re: WebView org.mortbay.log EXCEPTION

Posted Apr 07, 2016 10:54 AM

musma03

The logging was already set to INFO (OOTB config) and that's why I was getting these WARN logs.

log4j.logger.org.mortbay=INFO, console, logfile

I will try uploading the cert into Chrome.

Thanks for the feedback.