DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  SystemErr.log

Posted Sep 20, 2016 03:32 AM

"As you can see in the stack trace, there is a NullPointerException which indicates that an object that should be worked on has a NULL value during the processing.

This exception is thrown by a method named com.wily.introscope.agent.sqlagent.hc2.ResultSetCloseTimer.ITracer_finis hTrace.

Obviously, something goes wrong during the method execution. Wily Introscope is a performance monitoring offering by CA Technologies that is often used in WebSphere Application Server.

We assume that a certain tracing feature fails but since this is third-party code, I am afraid it is out of our support scope. I can only recommend that you disable Wily Introscope for now and maybe consult -How to proceed?

CA Support to investigate the actual root cause. The Introscope agent is usually enabled using JVM options passed to the Application Server runtime environment, so it should be sufficient to remove those options to deactivate it.

• 2.  Re: SystemErr.log

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 08:36 AM

Hi Karthik:

I feel that I came in the middle of a conversation with this note. There is no version or environmental info posted.

"As you can see in the stack trace, there is a NullPointerException which indicates that an object that should be worked on has a NULL value during the processing"

I do not see a screen shot of the entire exception or a log of what was going on before. Please add

I want to understand what you are seeking to be answered in this thread.

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: SystemErr.log
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 05:25 PM

Hi Karthik:

I am going to mark this as answered for the following reasons:

- The whole thing reads like it was posted by accident or was from an internal email.

- The post provides no environment information, logs, or even the promised stack trace mentioned.

- . As mentioned above custom code is out of scope for Support cases.

So no further action can be done at this time.

However, you may post additional details, screenshots, and log snippets for further assistance

Thanks

Hal German

• 4.  Re: SystemErr.log

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 08:38 AM

Hello Karthik,

This specific scenario returning null thus creating the NullPointerException(NPE) was an area that we have covered and fixed in latest releases - Defect 261512 - Exception finishing method tracer for close()
    However, this exception could also likely be a side-effect from agent already in some stressed condition, below some suggestions you can try:

1. Increase the current agent metric clamp: introscope.agent.metricClamp
    2. Disable the entire sqlagent instrumentation or try disabling ResultSetCloseTimer by commenting out the following tracing group in sqlagent.pbd:
    #TurnOn: SQLAgentResultSets
    3. Disable deepinheritance by setting the following line in IntroscopeAgent.profile:
    introscope.autoprobe.deepinheritance.enabled=false
    4. Disable any custom and/or old tracer were being used.

Please note that 9.1 is already EOS
    https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/anonymous/phpsupcontent?contentID=7cd68c82-22ab-40cb-9051-b3a30732401c&productID=5974

Regards,

Sergio