DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Thread dump of an application through Wily

Posted May 31, 2016 08:17 PM

If I take thread dump through Investigator of an application/agent it shows me on the screen.

Where is it exactly saved on Wily cluster and what should be the file name ?

• 2.  Re: Thread dump of an application through Wily
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2016 09:23 AM

Hi,

They are stored on the Collector that the Agent is reporting to.  By default, the name of the directory is threaddumps.  So the path would be <EM Home>/threaddumps.

This can be modified by going to the IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.properties file and modifying the following property.

introscope.enterprisemanager.threaddump.storage.dir

So if your Agent is on Collector #2, you would go to Collector 2's threaddump directory and it is there.  Also while you have the Investigator up, after you collect a thread dump, you can also save it as a tda file and put it in another location.

Regards,
    Matt

• 3.  Re: Thread dump of an application through Wily

Posted Jun 03, 2016 02:20 PM

Thank you Matt and Kristen,

I had looked into  a few of the collectors and was hoping that the file was rotating.

But it is on an specific collector, I think because it goes to that collector.

Now I am looking for a tool which can help to read these binary files.

Thanks again.

• 4.  Re: Thread dump of an application through Wily

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2016 06:38 PM

Hi Vijay,

The thread dumps generated by APM are best viewed within the Investigator and you might hit errors with an external tool

More info on this topic in the wiki e.g.

Configure Java Agent - CA Application Performance Management - 10.2 - CA Technologies Documentation

"Generate a Thread Dump Using the Command-Line Workstation

Note: To see the full thread dump stack, load it into the Investigator and view with any other external thread analysis tool. Using an external tool might result in errors."

Diagnose the Problem with the Metric Browser Tab - CA Application Performance Management - 10.2 - CA Technologies Docume…

Locate Application Problems - CA Application Performance Management - 10.2 - CA Technologies Documentation

Hope it helps

Regards,

Lynn