DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

• 1.  Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 05:15 AM

Hi all,

Has anyone monitored a standalone .exe C# application?

I have a server with IIS .NET application as well as standalone C# application.

I installed agent 10.2 and IIS apps can be seen.

For standalone , I edited the exe.config file as per sample.exe.config file in wily directory. But the exe doesn't get started.

In the agent profile , I have given w3wp.exe and pd.exe (name of exe) as the process list. One agent profile is catering for both IIS as well as EXE application.The exe is triggered by windows task scheduler every 5 minutes.

It would be great if anyone could give guidance.

Geethu

• 2.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 07:54 AM

Hi Geethu:

Changing this to a discussion since it is a broader topic

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 08:36 AM

Hi Geethu,

First of all, please make sure the C# application works with the version of supported .Net Framework used by Agent.

Also make sure the process permission and other .NET Agent requirements

Have you tried using absolute path or application pool under Agent properties?

Configure the following properties in the Agent profile:

1. Provide a comma-separated list of application names/paths you want to monitor in the introscope.agent.dotnet.monitorApplications property. For example:
      introscope.agent.dotnet.monitorApplications= RandomApp.exe,testapp.exe,readloop.exe,C:\windows32\system\testapp.exe
      • Both absolute paths and .exe file names are supported.
      • The list is case sensitive.
      • Relative paths are not supported.
      • Wildcards are not supported.
    2. For monitoring application pools, provide a comma-separated list in the
      introscope.agent.dotnet.monitorAppPools property, enclosing the pool name in quotes. For example:
      introscope.agent.dotnet.monitorAppPools="DefaultAppPool","MSPetShop","DotNetNuke"

If the application is not configured to run in an application pool use "NULL" in the application pool name for it to be monitored.

Examples

introscope.agent.dotnet.monitorApplications=w3wp.exe,aspnet_wp.exe,RandomApp.exe,testapp.exe,readloop.exe,C:\windows\winmerge.exe,S:\sw\prvciew.exe

introscope.agent.dotnet.monitorAppPools="DefaultAppPool","MSPetShop"

http://wilykbs.ca.com/RightNow/KB_1340.html

Thanks

Yanna

• 4.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 11:11 PM

Hi  Yanna ,

Thanks a lot for the insight.

1. I was checking on the framework version. When I open the exe in decompiler , it shows the targeted framework is 4.5 ,whereas the properties shows framework 2.0.

2. When I run wily_permission.exe  on this process, it throws exception regrading ' get user details access denied'.

3. I have tried the full path as well as just the exe name.

4. The exe just fails to start . Rest of the app pools can be seen from Investigator.

Geethu

1.JPG2.JPG

• 5.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 11:37 PM

Also, the exe  shows it is 32 bit whereas .NET agent I installed (for the app pool monitoring ) is 64 bit .

• 6.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 11:42 PM

Hi Geethu,

• Since 9.1 versions the agent bitness relates to the bitness of the OS not the application i.e. installing 64-bit agent on 64-bit OS can monitor both 32-bit & 64-bit apps.
    • Not sure why Platform shows v2.0 but the TargetFramework=4.5 should indicate it was compiled with 4.5 per this link: TargetFrameworkAttribute Class (System.Runtime.Versioning)
    • If the pd.exe fails to start after it has been added to the agent profile then also probably indicates it is a supported .NET version because the agent assembly is being loaded (agent versions 9.7+ only support .NET 4.x)
    • So the pd.exe failing to start may be an instrumentation conflict. If you are using default-full.pbl have you tried default-typical.pbl instead?
    • If that does not help disable autoprobe completely to see what effect that has (introscope.autoprobe.enable=false)

Hope that helps

Do you also have a case running for this?

Thanks

Lynn

• 7.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 11:58 PM

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using default-typical.pbl and also a custom pbd which contains the classes I got after decompiling the dll file.

If I have to disable autoprobe , I should have another profile file for just this exe , right? As my app pool should not be affected.

Also I get error while running wily_permissions.exe which I am seeing for first time.

I have a case 00437222: Monitor EXE file developed in C#  but got the reply as out of scope.

2.jpg

Geethu

• 8.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-23-2016 11:53 PM

Yes, the case 00437222 is for this I think.

Thanks

Ying

• 9.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-24-2016 05:01 AM

Hi All ,

I got the exe running even though it doesnt show anything in Investigator.

The encoding of the exe.config file I created was different from the encoding of the original exe.config. (You will see the encoding when you 'save as' ).

Now , need to work on tracers.

Geethu

• 10.  Re: Monitor standalone .EXE C# application

Posted 06-24-2016 08:19 AM

Hi Geethu:

Seems like you made progress and now doing the next thing. Although there is no official way to do this, this thread is now seen as inactive

Good Luck on your endeavors

Ha; German