DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Active Threads

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Active Threads

Posted 04-08-2016 06:38 PM

Hi All,

We are using Introscope version : 9.5.5.0. In many of the applications that we monitor (Tomcat) we see that the metric shown in Investigator (Threads > Active Threads) - shows a very high number like 16K and this keeps on growing until we restart the server. Out of these 16K threads 99.9% of threads are of - com.ibm.msg.client.commonservices.j2se.workqueue.WorkQueueManagerImplementation$ThreadPoolWorker.

If I check the server, I just get about 200 threads - ps -o nlwp PID

What is the data that Introscope is showing?

Appreciate your inputs!

Thanks,

Payal

• 2.  Re: Active Threads
    Best Answer

Posted 04-10-2016 06:43 PM

Hi Payal,

I think your description matches a known problem for growing "Active Threads" count that was resolved in 9.5.3 (a full APM release that came out later than the 9.5.5 "agent only" release). Here is the relevant wiki page

Fixed Issues -- 9.6.1, 9.6.0 - CA Application Performance Management - 9.6 - CA Technologies Documentation

Lower down you will see:

262788Issue in the agent causing an error in the thread count metric
    Due to an issue with the 916 agent, the active thread count metric is not accurate in the investigator.

So if you are still running 9.5.x EM you could upgrade to 9.5.3 agent to get the fix (any 9.5.x EM is compatible with any 9.5.x agent).

However please bear in mind that 9.5.x will end support in mid-December this year so I would advise to plan to upgrade the agent (& EM) to the latest 10.x version: Click here to display the Release and Support Lifecycle Dates matrix

Hope this helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Active Threads

Posted 04-11-2016 12:53 PM

Thanks Lynn for your reply on this. This helps.

• 4.  Re: Active Threads

Posted 04-11-2016 08:02 AM

Please let us know if there are any follow up questions Payal after Lynn's response.

• 5.  Re: Active Threads

Posted 04-11-2016 12:54 PM

Sure. I will let you know if there are any follow-up questions.