DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Misconception about AutoProbe log files???

Posted Sep 03, 2015 10:55 AM

I have long been told or at the least assumed that every class file that is loaded in a JVM will make at least a one line appearance in the autoprobe log of an introscope agent.  Whether instrumented or not, the line "Processing Class...." would show for each and every class that is loaded into memory.

A recent support case has me questioning that belief and I wanted to ask the community's understanding of this.

Thanks, Tommy

• 2.  Re: Misconception about AutoProbe log files???

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 03, 2015 03:02 PM

Hi Tommy,

this should be the case. As evidence to the contrary can you share the support ticket number?

Ciao,

Guenter

• 3.  Re: Misconception about AutoProbe log files???

Posted Sep 03, 2015 07:48 PM

Guenter, thank you, I was beginning to question my own sanity...

Case #00143924

-Tommy

• 4.  Re: Misconception about AutoProbe log files???

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 03, 2015 07:55 PM

Hi Tommy, grara06,

I took a look at that case.

The tracer directive in j2ee.pbd:

TraceOneMethodIfFlagged: JMSListenerTracing onMessage BlamePointTracerDifferentInstances "JMS|Message Listener|{classname}"

successfully puts a tracer on the following classes in both AutoProbe.logs from 7/23 because they implement javax.jms.MessageListener.onMessage():

Processing class weblogic/jms/bridge/internal/MessagingBridge

onMessage:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BlamePointTracer

Processing class weblogic/wsee/server/jms/JmsQueueListener

onMessage:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BlamePointTracer

Are these the logs from the agent where you are missing metrics?

Therefore you should be seeing metrics under:

JMS|Message Listener|MessagingBridge

JMS|Message Listener|JmsQueueListener

Are those metrics there or not? Which metrics are you expecting to see?

Ciao,

Guenter

• 5.  Re: Misconception about AutoProbe log files???

Posted Sep 03, 2015 08:06 PM

I'm looking for the standard "JMS|..." metrics that come out of j2ee.pbd.  Try taking a look at the "introscope-agent.tar" file that was originally included on 7/20 or the one right after with "verbose" in the name.  They both contain the entire agent directory, including the auto probe logs. Those are both from the server where we aren't seeing the JMS metrics. 

Thanks, Tommy

• 6.  Re: Misconception about AutoProbe log files???
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 03, 2015 10:54 PM

Hi Tommy,

To Guenter's point are you seeing any JMS metrics reported at all in non-working environment ?

I checked the logs that you referred to and they also show tracers being inserted into bunch of classes that are JMS related so there should be metrics assuming

-those classes are being exercised\called at runtime

-There is no clamping on EM side and\or agent side(check EM live metric and historical metric clamp and Agent clamp on EM side)

If you are seeing some JMS classes\metrics but not others which are used in your application, then you need to check if they directly inherit\implement from required Java classes for e.g

javax.jms.MessageListener

otherwise we will not instrument them out of the box.

As we are already troubleshooting this issue via a support incident it would be preferable to continue further analysis there itself however to answer your original question.

Autoprobe.log will show all classes loaded\processed by JVM except one's which are loaded by JVM bootstrap class loader(there is a setting to disable that behavior if needed) or are manually skipped via Agent configuration.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 7.  Re: Misconception about AutoProbe log files???

Posted Sep 04, 2015 08:06 AM

Kulbir,

Thank you for your response.  I think my underlying question of what I "should" see in the auto probe logs has been answered by both you and Guenter, for that thank you.

I confirmed a while back that the server was in fact receiving JMS messages by using the runtime data that we were pulling back via the JMX interface with Weblogic.  For example, i checked one queue on this server and the "MesssagesReceivedCount" is close to 7M this morning.  However, no JMS metrics are appearing.  None at all.

I'll continue to follow up with support on this issue. 

Again, thank you both for your input.

-Tommy