DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  WebServices Monitoring

Posted Jan 06, 2016 04:48 AM

Hello Community,

There is a requirement from customer to monitor WebServices on their application. I have copied the WebServicesAgent.jar and BoundaryOnlyTrace.jar to /core/ext folder and also added spm.pbl to directives property in profile file.

I can also see in Autoprobe.log that WebServices.pbd is being loaded and no errors about incorrect directive. There is no error in Agent.logs as well.

Customer has invoked webservices call but I am not seeing any metrics data for WebServices in investigator. Is there anything else we need to do?

The application is "IBM Sterling Order Management" where they have JAX-WS Web Services. I hope APM agent can monitor JAX-WS. Has anyone got any experience on monitoring JAX-WS or IBM sterling application?

Thanks,

Karthik

• 2.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2016 09:22 AM

Hello Karthik,

I don't see this specific app listed as supported in the APM Compatibility guides : CA Application Performance Management Compatibility Guides - CA Technologies , soap stack support is available from the "APM Extensions" tabs, you might need an agent extension.  Try to use the latest 10.1 agent and enable DEBUG to obtain more details of the webservices instrumentation, in the agent profile set

log4j.logger.IntroscopeAgent=DEBUG, logfile

log4j.appender.logfile.MaxFileSize=100MB

Regards,

Sergio

• 3.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Posted Jan 06, 2016 10:41 AM

Hi Sergio,

This is a Java based application running on JBoss application server. So I hope Java agent should monitor Webservices for an Java application if SOAP protocol is used.

We currently have 9.7 cluster so we can't use 10.1 agent to test this. Let me see if we can test the same on 9.7 agent.

Thanks,

Karthik

Note: I don't understand why the questions are reflecting as "Assumed answered" automatically when there is a response. Is this expected behavior? Do I need to raise this concern in WaterCooler community?

• 4.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2016 11:45 AM

I understand, the agent DEBUG logs will give better visibility of what is happening.

About your quesiton, you can raise your concern with Melanie Giuliani

Regards,

Sergio

• 5.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Posted Jan 06, 2016 11:52 AM

Hello Karthik,

What version of Jboss do you have ?

Because webservices.pbd only have specific directives for Jboss 6 and 7:

#JBOSS 6 & 7

IdentifyInheritedAs: org.jboss.ws.core.jaxws.binding.HTTPBindingJAXWS JBOSS_SERVER_JAXWS_TRACING

# Only specific to jboss 6

IdentifyInheritedAs: org.jboss.wsf.common.invocation.AbstractInvocationHandler JBOSS_SERVER_JAXWS_TRACING

# Only specific to jboss 7

#IdentifyInheritedAs: org.jboss.as.webservices.invocation.AbstractInvocationHandlerEJB JBOSS_SERVER_JAXWS_TRACING

Regards,

• 6.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Posted Jan 07, 2016 07:51 AM

Hi Aldo,

The jboss version is 4.3 but webservices.pbd has traces for JAX-WS for other versions too I believe

Thanks,

Karthik

• 7.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Posted Jan 06, 2016 10:14 AM

Hello Karthik,

IBM PMI detect your webservices module ? (I had similar detection problems when PMI doesn't detect webservices module).

Regards,

Aldo

• 8.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Posted Jan 06, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi,

I am collecting the information whatever you requested. Please stay with me. I will get you the details.

Thanks for your help,
    Karthik

• 9.  Re: WebServices Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2016 04:11 PM

Hi Karthik,

A couple of other points aside from what has already been suggested:

1. There is a JAX-WS problem fixed in the 9.7.0 agent so if you previously tested with an earlier agent it could be relevant but I think only if the agent actually broke the application: Java Agent Fixed Issues

2. JAX-WS needs the agent soap header insertion/read properties to be enabled: Configuring correlated tracing

Regards,

Lynn