DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

• 1.  Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

Posted 01-14-2016 07:46 PM

Hello,

I have installed CA APM 10.0 version in our environment. We have installed EP Agents, .Net Agents and Websphere Agents. The problem here is when I check in Metric Browser I can see all servers connected and collecting data. But when I check on team center - perspective - hostname, not able to find all the servers which were available in Metric Browser.

Let me know what could be the issue.

Thanks & Regards

Baskar Gajendran

• 2.  Re: Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

Posted 01-15-2016 02:17 PM

Dear Baskar,

This is working as designed, APM Team Center only shows those components which are detected as Frontend\Backends and correspondingly agent sends required vertices\edges (relationship between frontend\backend) to the EM. As such I would only expect to see the .NET\Java Agents hostnames show in the perspective assuming they are reporting Frontend\backend data and are fully exercised, EPAgents will not be displayed in the Team Center UI. Is that what you are seeing ?

At a very high level APM Team Center provides same mapping capabilities as were there in Appmap\Triage Map in older versions however with lot of advanced features added on top of it including perspectives,filters, custom attributes, attribute rules,timelines etc. You can read more details here:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10/en/using/apm-team-center

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 3.  Re: Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

Posted 01-15-2016 06:13 PM

Hello Kulbir,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem I am facing is totally different. I have totally 5 servers in my test environment.

3  .Net Application Servers (Windows 2003)  (one of them has EPAgent)

2  Webshphere Portal Servers(RHEL) ( Both of them have EPAgent)

Out of the 5 only the 2 Wepsphere Portal Server are shown in the Team Center when I select Hostname filter.

Thanks & Regards

Baskar Gajendran

• 4.  Re: Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

Posted 01-19-2016 12:57 PM

Hi Baskar,

Do the 3 .NET Application servers have Frontend\Backend nodes shown in Investigator ?

If not then they won't appear in the ATC, if yes then perhaps remove all filters and see if they show up.

In any case if you need further help I would recommend opening a support issue so we can investigate deeper.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 5.  Re: Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

Posted 01-15-2016 04:39 PM

Hi,

You want to stop the work you are doing and install 10.1

I learned at CA world that 10.1 improved ATC and uses the transaction traces to generate the maps.

(the only problem I have is that my helloworld agents do not break and do not generate enough traces and eventually fall off from the ATC until next time)

Regards,

Fred

• 6.  Re: Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

Posted 01-15-2016 06:08 PM

Fred is correct that in 10.1 we by default use Transaction traces to generate the Team Center map however that would have no impact on the information that I provided above i.e you will only see those entries where we detected a Frontend\Backend so no EPAgent or non Java\.NET Agent stuff.

But definitely given 10.1 is GA I would also strongly suggest to use that version instead which also contains additional enhancement to APM Team Center itself.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 7.  Re: Server Count not in sync between APM Team Center and Metric Browser

Posted 01-15-2016 04:42 PM

Hi Baskar:

Please let us know if the two answers provided are sufficient or addition follow-up is needed

Thanks

Hal German