DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Should the example web server configurations in WebServerConfig.xml be usable?

Posted Sep 01, 2015 12:44 AM

Hi,

We've only started using the webserver powerpack and I am encountering a few unexpected behaviours with it.

One of these is when I reconfigure the OHS example from WebServerConfig, it complains about missing parameters :

Here is the line :

<WebServer Type="Apache:Oracle-HTTP-Server" Enabled="true" Protocol="TLS" ServerURL="https://wily-ohs:443" DisplayName="wily-ohs_443_ssl" Mode="Permissive"/>

If this is reconfigured to use real values, it will manage to collect metrics successfully but you'll get warning errors like this :

8/31/15 03:01:10 PM AEST [WARN] [WebServerMonitor] No MetricsURL attribute specified for loginportal_ohs4-PPTE. Assuming default.

8/31/15 03:01:10 PM AEST [WARN] [WebServerMonitor] RefreshFrequencyInSeconds is either not available or empty for https://xxxxxxx:4444. Defaulting it to 15 seconds

I added the following parameters to the config to get rid of the errors :

RefreshFrequencyInSeconds="15" MetricsURL="/server-status"

But it still seems a bit rubbish that the example configuration doesn't work without errors.

Is this an issue with my configuration or are the examples flawed?

If they are flawed are the rest of the example configs also incorrect?

Thanks,

Matthew

• 2.  Re: Should the example web server configurations in WebServerConfig.xml be usable?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 01, 2015 01:58 PM

Hi Matthew,

Neither the examples are flawed nor the information generated in logs in rubbish.

Fact is that the attributes for which Agent generates Warning messages(not ERROR and I believe only get logged once at startup) are optional i.e if they are not explicitly configured then Webserver PP will still monitor the server using default values however depending on the actual server configuration those defaults might not necessarily be valid. For e.g let's say webserver generates stats every every 2 minutes or my stats URL is located at a custom location then one used by Webserver PP, in those cases customer is required to configure these attributes.Warning message is just a heads up to tell user or someone simply looking at logs singularly, to indicate that there were no user specified values for those settings.

If you look at example configs for other webservers for e.g Apache you would see that they do have references to optional config parameters, also documentation clearly indicates the purpose or usage of each of the configuration properties.Examples are simply demonstrating what settings could be used or are available and typically should be workable OOB in a default webserver config, however depending on individual user requirements they might still need to be tweaked further.

Regards,

Kulbir.

• 3.  Re: Should the example web server configurations in WebServerConfig.xml be usable?

Posted Sep 01, 2015 09:11 PM

Hi Kulbir,

Thanks for that.

As I said, I'm new to the tool and from other tools I've supported a WARNING message would generally indicate a low level issue and an ERROR message a real issue.

Either way, I've gotten rid of the WARNING messages and everything is working as expected.

When I get the time I'll go through the documentation in more detail too.

Thanks,

Matthew