DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

• 1.  How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Posted Apr 10, 2015 11:05 AM

What does Percentage of Java Heap Used under GC Monitor show?

I want to keep a track of Java heap size and threads.

• 2.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Posted Apr 13, 2015 05:58 AM

Hi,

Anyone has any idea on this ? I want to keep a track of Java Heap size used by particular service. Can I track java heap used by particular service or will it show the java heap used by the entire application ?

• 3.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:08 AM

Under GC Heap you get the Total Bytes and Bytes Used. Write a JavaScript calculator to return the % Used. I think we have one written already in the community documents. Just use the Search by tags option when at the documents section and use tag "javascript_calculator".

• 4.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:31 PM

Hi pvpalval,

What does Percentage of Java Heap Used under GC Monitor show?

I want to keep a track of Java heap size and threads.

Vaibhav --> % of Java Heap Used shows = Java Heap Used \ Total Java Heap assigned to that JVM instance.

You can keep a track of java heap usage % metric or 'heap in use'

Regarding - 'I want to keep a track of Java Heap size used by particular service'

You cannot track heap usage per service (I am assuming you are referring webservice or SOA call) but you can track heap usage for that JVM instance.

But what could be done is, you can stop all other services and test for an individual service and track your heap utilization.

Hope it helps.

@Hiko:I think CA default setup provides mentioned Javascript calculator for basic EM installation. I found under Scripts folder when i was trying to fix issue for java agent 9.0.6 which doesn't provide with GC Monitor.

Regards,

Vaibhav

• 5.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2015 07:32 PM

Scripts is where you want to place the calculcators, unless you meant under "examples"?

• 6.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2015 07:36 PM

Yes, I knew there was one written! lol

It's under <em_home>/examples/scripts, exactly where Viruvaibhav_apm mentions. Just copy the JS file to <em_home>/scripts; no EM restart needed.

• 7.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Posted Apr 17, 2015 01:30 AM

Lolz.. yeah I was referring the examples folder only.

Regards,

Vaibhav

• 8.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Posted Aug 10, 2015 01:16 PM

Hi, I didn't get any Java Heap calculator under EM/ examples/scripts folder. Also I searched under community docs. Could you please let me know the exact name of the calculator and where can I get the same ?

• 9.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Posted Sep 04, 2015 11:28 PM

May I know what exactly are you looking for from that script ? Also your APM version please.

• 10.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Posted Sep 08, 2015 01:06 PM

Hi,

I want to show the exact GC Heap, Java Heap and Threads currently consumed based on the overall available capacity. If I see the graph I cannot find the overall capacity along with the heap currently used so that we can be sure of how much capacity is still available.

APM version - 9.5.5.0

• 11.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2015 09:12 PM

GC heap = Java heap. The metric "GC Monitor:Percentage of Java Heap Used" shows you the relative value (%). If you want to see both the absolute and relative on one page you have to build a dashboard or type view.

Threads are shown under app server node (e.g. Tomcat) and/or JMX node.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 12.  Re: How to keep a track of Java Heap size used and threads in CA Wily?

Posted Sep 09, 2015 05:26 AM

Seems like Guenter’s suggestion should work. Are you looking for a percentage of “Used GC Heap vs Total GC Heap” for example? That’s what Guenter pointed to. For Threads, some appservers publish a similar counter through PMI or JMX.

If you only have the metrics “Available” and “Total”, you would need to write a Javascript calculator to compute the %, rest assured it’s relatively easy, you can our sample HeapUsedPercentage.js file that you will find under the “examples/scripts” directory of the Enterprise Manager as a basis.

Or I misunderstand what you need?