This is an update of an old Tech Note I created
This document is the result of a question raised by a customer during an engagement.—what things should I avoid when deploying and using APM CE?
1. Try to avoid many the conditions presented below through 1) capturing clear requirements, 2) having non-overlapping roles and responsibilities, 3) review suggested configuration settings before deployment, 4) double-check configuration entries and 5) monitor APM logs and defects after deployment.
2. If having one the conditions listed below, then attempt to resolve and correct as quickly as possible.
The following are some steps to avoid when deploying APM CE:
1. For enterprise-wide deployments, not having project managers to coordinate and monitor the deployment.
2. Having incorrectly architected the location or number of TIMs/Collectors. This is possibly due to incorrect traffic estimates, application scope changes, or other factors.
3. Roles and Responsibilities issues
a. No one assigned with APM CE responsibilities on an ongoing basis.
b. APM Administrator has no or little training.
c. Overlapping or unclear CEM roles and responsibilities
4. TIM network span or tap issues
a. Out of sequence packets due to inputs of multiple speeds or multiple input contention. This could impact successful recording and transaction statistics.
b. Tap, span, or aggregator incorrect configured and fails to show HTTP/HTTPS traffic or two way traffic.
The following are some of the misconfiguration steps that can impact the success of the APM CE deployment:
Web Servers Filters/MTP Hardware Filters
Not seeing correct traffic, inability to record.
Too low a setting can slow down the Tim with many inactive users. Too high a setting may result in too many active users who should be made inactive.
Expired or Invalid license may mean a system failing to run.
User Processing Type
Using enterprise mode when there are too many active users can slow down the TESS-EM and exceed system capabilities.
Not getting reports delivered to one or more persons.
Time Zone Settings/Synchronize Time
Incorrect time or gaps in APM CE statistics.
Statistics could also be duplicated or
corrupted. Also problems while recording.
Time on TIM incorrect or not propagated from EM.
CEM Analyst/Administrator cannot access reports and administrative functions due to security settings. This is especially true for EEM.
Inability to monitor defects. Two TIMs monitoring the same servers may result in duplicate transactions.
Not enabled will result in no defects and reports be created.
Credits & Acknowledgements
Some of these ideas were culled from the CEM training and official documentation. My thanks to the creators and maintainers of both of these invaluable sources.