DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Need Help Creating Alert

Posted Jul 30, 2014 10:43 AM

I need some assistance creating this alert. Basically if a Java method is called 10 times in one hour a caution alert is sent. If the same method is called 20 times in one hour, the danger is sent. I am not sure what to set my Resolution, Comparison Operator, Trigger Alert Notification, Threshold, Periods Over Threshold and Observed Periods to? I am using Response Per Interval from a BlamePointTracer to gather the metric in a Metric Grouping.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  Re: Need Help Creating Alert
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 30, 2014 02:15 PM

Hi Mike,

To achieve this, you need to create a calculator fro the metric grouping you have created to sum  up the datapoints. (Let me know if you want details of too).

Post which, create a simple alert using the newly created calculator metric (with sum of response time counts) and use below settings.

• Resolution = 15 seconds (this helps in taking the granular data in real time)
    • Comparison operator = is greater than
    • Trigger Alert Notification = Each Period While Problem Exists—produces a problem message every period that the Simple Alert is in Caution or Danger.               
    • Caution = 10
      Observed Periods = 1
      Periods over Threshold = 1 ( this will be letting us to trigger the mail as soon as threshold is reached )
      Action Delay = 1 hour
    • Danger = 20
      Observed Periods = 1
      Periods over Threshold = 1 ( this will be letting us to trigger the mail as soon as threshold is reached )
      Action Delay = 1 hour

So with the above configs, you will be able to keep a track on the method been called with an hour duration gap. Please remember, this setting will only be helping you to keep  check on hourly basis ( as per your requirement) and will not be letting you to know if it crosses the threshold in between.

Let me know if needs more clarification.

Regards,

Vaibhav