DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  MAA Automated vs. Instrumented Mobile Transactions

Posted Apr 23, 2015 11:51 AM

I was recently asked the following question:

In version 15.1 under data collection, when I’m doing instrumentation for an app I see these 2 values. What does Automated vs manual mean here?

Trans_Pic.png

My Answer:

Select Instrumented if you have implemented the MAA SDK to manually name your mobile application transactions (e.g. CAMDOReporter.sharedInstance().startApplicationTransaction("Shop - View Product”)). Otherwise if Automated is selected the MAA SDK will automatically assign a name to each transaction which in most cases with be the name of the current view controller (e.g. TIXCHANGE.ProcutDetailViewController). See image below. The Transactions named “Shop –View Product” were named in the code using the Instrumented setting.

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 9.09.02 AM.png

• 2.  Re: MAA Automated vs. Instrumented Mobile Transactions

Posted Aug 21, 2015 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info Bryan, I have a question regarding this functionality in 15.2.

The inline help in 15.2 states now:

"Name captures the Transactions executed within the mobile app. If no Named Transaction was specified then, by default, CA MAA will pickup the app?s screen name as the transaction name and the App's name as the service."

We are seeing now that the technical view Controller Name is not being picked but the App Name, so if we don't instrument the app with the SDK we get only one Transaction.

Is there a way to activate the automatic naming strategy we used to see in 15.1?

Thanks in advance.

• 3.  Re: MAA Automated vs. Instrumented Mobile Transactions

Posted Aug 21, 2015 04:22 PM

Let me check into this and get back to you.

Question regarding your app. Which version of the MAA SDK is it using?

• 4.  Re: MAA Automated vs. Instrumented Mobile Transactions

Posted Aug 21, 2015 04:43 PM

FYI, I just tested this with the 15.2 SDK and my resulting Automated Transaction Names were correct "Appname.ViewControllerName"

Automated Transaction Profile Name Checked and Profile saved (I named it "Automated Transaction")

2015-08-21_14-41-10.png

Resulting transaction names (App Name is "TIXCHANGE"):

2015-08-21_14-42-27.png

• 5.  Re: MAA Automated vs. Instrumented Mobile Transactions

Posted Oct 07, 2015 01:20 PM

Hi Bryan,

I have a app with a certificate RSA, and i can only see two transactions with the name of the principal views.

What can i do for see more transactions?

Note: The first transaction hide the rest transaction, to exception of the second transaction what is a map.

• 6.  Re: MAA Automated vs. Instrumented Mobile Transactions

Posted Oct 07, 2015 03:32 PM

Martin,

Can you please provide me with some additional information regarding your mobile app. Is it an Android or iOS app? What development platform was used to build the app (e.g. Xcode, Android Studio, PhoneGap, Mobile First, SUP, etc.)? Is it a native or hybrid application?

Thanks.

Bryan

• 7.  Re: MAA Automated vs. Instrumented Mobile Transactions

Posted Oct 07, 2015 04:13 PM

Hi Bryan,

The mobile app is for Android, is it native, The platform used to develop the app is Eclipse.

I don't have access to the code.