DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  SysEDGE agent taking 5 minutes to respond to SNMP Poll

Posted Nov 24, 2014 09:37 PM

Has anyone come across an issue where the SysEDGE agent takes around 5 minutes to respond to an SNMP polll ?

The agent is running on port 1691 rather than port 161 as we needed the windows SNMP agent running still.

It's not an issue with the network as polling the Windows SNMP agent will get a response almost instantaneously.

The server memory utilisation is high as it's a MSSQL server, but the issue has only popped up in the last 2 days and it was working fine before that.

I'm at a loss as to where to start troubleshooting this.

I've already tried restarting the SysEDGE agent itself. Rebooting the server is out of the question as it's a critical server.

• 2.  Re: SysEDGE agent taking 5 minutes to respond to SNMP Poll

Posted Nov 25, 2014 10:17 AM

You  are getting management agent alerts frequently ?

• 3.  Re: SysEDGE agent taking 5 minutes to respond to SNMP Poll

Posted Nov 25, 2014 10:45 AM

Is your SystemEDGE agent performing any actions that are taking a long time to complete?  I have seen the agent wait for actions to complete and it appears to be hung while it is waiting.  We issues with some actions which were performing a few SQL queries that took longer than 5 minutes to complete under certain load conditions.  This made the sysedge agent appear unresponsive, but it was really just waiting for our action to complete.

If you have any custom actions being run by the agent, try taking those out for a few minutes and see if the agent starts to respond correctly.  If it does, put those checks back in one by one and see if you can determine which one (or combination of them) causes the agent to become slow or unresponsive.

Hope this helps...

Chris

• 4.  Re: SysEDGE agent taking 5 minutes to respond to SNMP Poll

Posted Nov 25, 2014 11:16 AM

Chris ,

In some cases whenever the CPU load or utilization is high Sysedge agent is moving to unresponsive state .

Most the servers all utilization is under normal but i am getting frequent Management agent lost alerts .It is a bad behavior i am facing in most of the windows machines ..

• 5.  Re: SysEDGE agent taking 5 minutes to respond to SNMP Poll

Posted Nov 25, 2014 11:38 AM

That’s partially a function of the OS doing its job prioritizing CPU cycles for the high priority application needs.  If your CPU load is excessive, then external communication protocols such as SNMP, SMTP, etc. tend to be suspended until the load subsides.  Since monitoring programs are typically deemed less important than whatever critical applications the server is running, this actually helps your system try to survive during these periods of high CPU loading.

Most servers will still respond to ping in these instances, but other communications with them will be sporadic at best.  The management agent lost alerts are good for identifying these circumstances as they occur.

If, however, you find that you are getting the slow responses during times when the CPU loading is normal, then that’s a where my previous suggestions may be helpful.

• 6.  Re: SysEDGE agent taking 5 minutes to respond to SNMP Poll

Posted Nov 25, 2014 08:05 PM

Hey Chris

I don't have any actions configured on the SystemEDGE agent.

The only reason why I'm using the agent is to monitor NTFS mount points - this can't be done using the windows SNMP agent.

The configuration is pretty vanilla on this server so I wouldn't know what could possibly be slowing the agent down.

CPU cycles is also not an issue as the CPU load is fairly low.

Thanks for the tips though !

• 7.  Re: SysEDGE agent taking 5 minutes to respond to SNMP Poll

Posted Feb 08, 2016 02:40 PM

Did the issue get fixed?  If so, what was the resolution?