APM Top 20 Accessed KB Articles for November 2014
1. Explaining and Addressing an Agent Reaching Transaction Trace Component Limit TEC597757
Description:This article will discuss the causes and how to address "[WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.WilyTransactionStructure]Transaction trace component limit of 5000 reached, recording of any new components will cease for this transaction."
2. Technical Advisory: Workstation Web Start Client Fails to Start with Java 7 Update 45 (Java 1.7.0_45), Java 6 Update 65 (Java 1.6.0_65), and Java 5 Update 55 (Java 1.5.0_55) TEC603806
Description:CA Technologies has identified a potential issue with the CA APM/Introscope Workstation Web Start client with Java 7 Update 45 (Java 1.7.0_45), Java 6 Update 65 (Java 1.6.0_65) and Java 5 Update 55 (Java 1.5.0_55). This technical advisory describes the affected versions and platforms in more detail, and explains the workarounds or remediation actions that are recommended to prevent this issue from impacting your usage of CA APM.3. DST issue with APM 9.5.0, 9.5.1, 9.5.2 - Oracle Partition Creation Failed Message received after Daylight Savings Time change ORA-14074 TEC607559
Description:While running APM 9.5.0, 9.5.1 or 9.5.2 with an Oracle APM Database, the following (or similar) errors in the APM CE GUI and in TIM Collection Service EM Logs may occur when transitioning to/from Daylight Saving Time:
• Partition creation failed• Administration Enterprise Manager 0.0.0.0 Partition creation failed.• Disk or oracle table space probably exhausted.•Manager.com.timestock.tess.util.DbUtils] Execute failed for SQL DDL 'ALTER
TABLE ts_us_sessions_map ADD PARTITION ts_us_sessions_map_20140309_03
VALUES LESS THAN (TIMESTAMP '2014-03-09 4:00:00 -4:00')'
java.sql.SQLException: ORA-14074: partition bound must collate higher than that of the last partition"
This indicates that last table partitions for table ‘ts_us_sessions_map’ overlaps with new partition and prevents its creation.
A Technical Advisory with more details is available at https://support.ca.com/phpdocs/0/5974/5974_critical_alert_DST_Issue_032014.pdf.
4. Smartstortools Help TEC609741
Description:Best practices and examples for Smartstortools usage.
5. I am having recording issues with WTG and my private key/certificate. What should I do? TEC596478
Description:When attempting to record a script, In the script log seeing various errors such as HH:MM:SS Request 1 error - Cannot connect to server:11:SSL Handshake Failed: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure. What are the next steps?6. An Explanation of APM CE (CEM) Transaction Time Breakdown as shown in the Component Timing Diagram TEC603709
Description:This document explains what is being reported by the Component Timing Diagram particularly with the common question of gaps between the bars.
7. When does the SmartStor metric data status change from live to historical? TEC603652
Description:We often refer to live and historical metrics, but when does SmartStor metric data status change from live to historical?
8. A simple explanation for "Transaction trace component limit" TEC597762
Description: In an em.log or similar APM log, what does this mean, in simple terms?[WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.WilyTransactionStructure]Transaction trace component limit of 5000 reached, recording of any new components will cease for this transaction.
9. After installing 9.1.6 .NET Agent (64-bit) on 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 the user can see the CA APM PerfMon Collector Agent metrics and logs but not the metrics & logs for the ASP.NET V4 application that is running under IIS. TEC597289
Description:After installing 9.1.6 .NET Agent (64-bit) on 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 the user can see the CA APM PerfMon Collector Agent metrics and logs but not the metrics & logs for the ASP.NET V4 application that is running under IIS. The agent profile is configured with default settings i.e. monitorApplications includes the IIS worker process w3wp.exe and monitorAppPools is not set to shat all IIS application pools are being monitored.
10. APM Cluster Performance Health Check TEC604648
Description:The Perflog can reveal much about the health of the Collectors in a cluster. This article discusses the most easily diagnosed issues. For a complete analysis, CA Services should be engaged for a comprehensive health check.
11. Using Web Start Workstation with Java 7 u51 (Java7u51, Java 1.7.0_51-b13) TEC606706http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC606706.aspx
Description: A Technical Advisory has been issued to address problems starting the APM Web Start Workstation. The Advisory allows users to run the Web Start workstation with Java 7 u45, but does not work with Java 7 u51. This article updates the Advisory to allow users to run the Web Start workstation with the enhanced security present in Java 7 u51 and above by taking the additional step of reducing the Security Level from High to Medium.
12. How to implement CA EEM and LDAP for Authentication and Authorization of CA APM TEC593939http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC593939.aspx
Description:Using CA EEM, CA Embedded Entitlements Manager, in conjunction with a supported LDAP Server, it is possible to eliminate manual updates to CA APM configuration files every time you need to add a new user, change a password or update access permissions.
CA EEM allows you to utilize a supported LDAP server for authentication while it controls authorization policies for LDAP users and groups. If you do not use LDAP, EEM can even perform authentication duties using the secure, proprietary CA Directory, which is included.
CA EEM is bundled with CA APM and is available from the APM Product Downloads Page on support.ca.com. It can be installed on the same or a separate server as the Enterprise Manager.. CA EEM supports many CA products, serving as a single point of control for authentication and authorization.
13. My MTP is having performance issues. Also, the nospace column in Protocolstats has non-zero values. What should I do? TEC600295http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC600295.aspx
Description:This describes issues caused by the RAM Disk running out of space and what to do about it.
14. Overview of the APM CE (CEM) Data Export Tool CEMExportTool TEC611160http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC611160.aspx
Description:The CA APM CE data export tool uses the APM CE Web Services API to retrieve business process and business transaction statistic data, as well as defect and incident data from APM CE. You can easily import the resulting CSV data into any spreadsheet or reporting tool such as Microsoft Excel, Business Objects, SAS, or Crystal Reports.
15. After enabling SSL tracing, the Tim log is filled with Unsupported Ciphersuite warnings. Should I be concerned? TEC596473
Description:The following warnings are coming up on the TIM log after enabling SSL tracing.
Warning: sslprint: Unsupported CipherSuite - 57 (TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA) Warning: sslinterface: network_process_packet: error 10 (unsupported ciphersuite), conn 11745060, packet 187519287, [<IPAddress>]:20843->[<IPAddress>]:2221; ignoring further data
Please explain what could be the possible reason for these warning messages..
16. An overview of 85% of the WTG issues encountered during recording, monitoring, and integration, and how to address them.http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec600004.aspx
Description:This is an overview of 85% of the WTG issues being encountered during recording, monitoring and integration.
17. APM Support for TLS 1.1 and 1.2. TEC614225http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC614225.aspx
The APM 9.5 Web Server Guide shows support for TLS 1.0. Are there any plans for supporting TLS 1.1 and 1.2?
18. Bash Code Injection aka (Shellshock) and CEM TIM and TIMSoft TEC618037http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC618037.aspx
Description:The CEM Transaction Impact Monitor (TIM) is a passive network probe that collects business transaction information on HTTP/HTTPS traffic through a network span or tap. The CEM TIM is a C++ based application that runs on specific versions of the Linux operating system and does not use the Bash shell for any of its operational functions, however prior to version 9.6, the TIM installation script does use the bash shell.
It has been recently disclosed by industry experts that most versions of Unix, Linux, OSX and other variants are susceptible to a security issue that allows the execution of bash code injection. This is being referred to in the media as "Shellshock".
19. CA APM Technical Advisory: APM/Introscope 9.1.x Agent Transaction Structure Memory Leak TEC588643
Description:CA Technologies has identified a memory leak issue with CA APM/Introscope 9.1.x agents that can have an operational impact for our customers. This technical advisory describes the affected versions and platforms in more detail, and explains the workarounds or remediation actions that are recommended to prevent this issue from impacting your application environments.
20. CA Wily APM security example: Setting up CA Wily APM users, groups, and resources in CA EEM ( Legacy KB ID WLY 2450 ) TEC534188
Description:CA Wily APM security example: Setting up CA Wily APM users, groups, and resources in CA EEM