DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  EPAgent with REST API Now Available

Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:41 PM

For those who may not have seen previously, the EPAgent (aka the CA APM SDK) has been updated with a RESTful API.  This update is part of CA APM 9.7.1 (no special download required).

For detail on the EPAgent and its REST API update, see the EPAgent 101: Use the SDK to Send Data to APM.

• 2.  Re: EPAgent with REST API Now Available

Posted Feb 05, 2016 10:26 AM

Hi Chris,

When I use a regular stateless plugin (script) and configure it in the properties file, there is an option to control what the EPAgent should do when the plugin does not report the metric:

introscope.epagent.stateless.NAME.metricNotReportedAction

Is there a way to have similar control over the metrics reported through the restful interface?

I noticed if I send a metric through the restful interface once, EPAgent will continue to report that value even if it does not receive it anymore.

This will continue to happen until I stop the EPAgent.

Thanks

--

Mohammad

• 3.  Re: EPAgent with REST API Now Available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 11:08 AM

Hi Mohammad,

This depends on the Metric data types you are using. IntCounter and LongCounter stay at the same value until another value is reported Other data types like PerIntervalCounter or Int/LongAverage are reset every interval.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 4.  Re: EPAgent with REST API Now Available

Posted Feb 05, 2016 11:26 AM

Hi Guenter,

Thanks for your quick reply.

My metrics are Counter types.

So short answer is no, we don't have similar control.

My concern is that If the reporting script stops reporting for any reason, we won't be able to catch it quickly and it looks like the reporting host is healthy.

Thanks,

--

Mohammad

• 5.  Re: EPAgent with REST API Now Available

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 12:14 PM

Hi Mohammad,

you can change them to PerIntervalCounters. But then you have to report a value every 15s.

There are only those two options for a single metric:

• Use PerIntervalCounter: will show 0 for every interval where no value is reported.
    • User Int/LongCounter: stay at the same value forever.

You could report an additional metric "data sent" or "alive" that is a PerIntervalCounter and set it to 1 every time you send metrics. Then you can alert if that is 0 for longer than your polling interval is.

Ciao,

Guenter

• 6.  Re: EPAgent with REST API Now Available

Posted Feb 05, 2016 01:18 PM

Thank you very much Guenter, that helps.

Regards,

--

Mohammad