DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does command "send config file [EXACT MATCH] to agents matching [REGULAR EXPRESSION] to destination dir {[EXACT MATCH]}" of CLWorkstation work in combination with the Introscope EPAgent Generic LogReader

• 1.  Does command "send config file [EXACT MATCH] to agents matching [REGULAR EXPRESSION] to destination dir {[EXACT MATCH]}" of CLWorkstation work in combination with the Introscope EPAgent Generic LogReader

Posted Nov 26, 2014 11:58 AM

Hello guys,

I stumbled over this question due to a current requirement of a customer. At the customer we use the Introscope EPAgent Generic LogReader (ribomation/GenericLogReaderEPAgentPlugin · GitHub) to analyse the log files and alert if specific failures occur. The EPAgent, the logreader as well as the configuration of the logreader are shipped with the whole deployment package of the application. This means that currently we can change the logreader configuration only through our deployment process, meaning if we need another configuration we have to do this with a hotfix deployment (this procedure will not change! Or do you have a really good solution). As you can see, this procedure takes quite some time since we do not deploy the hot fixes ourselves. The costumer wants to have a possibility to change the configuration without the need of a deployment/hotfix. Connect manually to the machine and change the configuration is not a suitable solution!

Therefore, I currently look at other ways to change the configuration of the logreader. During this survey I stumbled over the CLWorkstation command "send config file [EXACT MATCH] to agents matching [REGULAR EXPRESSION] to destination dir {[EXACT MATCH]}". As I guess this command can be used to send configuration files to agents, hopefully EP Agents as well. Since the logreader is a stateful plugin of the EPAgent it should be possible to send the config to the EPAgent and may after restart the new configuration is used.

Sending the config file to the EPAgent might be a problem (company policies, firewalls,etc.) and could be quite time consuming for me to test. That's why I hope that someone of you might know already if this works (maybe you use this feature already) or at least you could tell me if my thoughts are correct or completely rubbish.

Other solutions which help me to complete this challenge are also very welcome

• 2.  Re: Does command "send config file [EXACT MATCH] to agents matching [REGULAR EXPRESSION] to destination dir {[EXACT MATCH]}" of CLWorkstation work in combination with the Introscope EPAgent Generic LogReader

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 29, 2014 10:42 AM

It works with Java agents, but I'm not sure it will work with Jens' logreader because it uses an old agent (as far as I know). I'm also not sure that it works with EPA, but I would think it would because they share the same codebase.

We have a logreader that comes with EPA and an XML logreader which is a FieldPack.