DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Data Collection Problems

Posted Mar 24, 2015 06:02 AM

CA APM cannot collect data every time.

I see a lot of breaks at the graphs.

I followed the guidelines int the performance improvement documents.

But the problem persists.

I'm using CA APM 9.1.5.0.

I could not find any enhancements in the latest version.

Do you know if there are performance enhancements in the latest version?

• 2.  Re: Data Collection Problems

Posted Mar 24, 2015 06:05 AM

Untitled.jpg

This is the graph I see in the CA APM.

• 3.  Re: Data Collection Problems
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2015 06:34 AM

Hello,

This does indeed look like a performance problem, normally on the Enterprise Manager side.

Howver, it also depends - do you see the same gaps at the same time for a whole agent, or even all agents, or does it only affect one metric on one particular agent ?

If only one agent is affected, there could be a problem with that particular application - it could even be an issue with the JVM itself.

We would need to know what performance guidelines you have followed, how many metrics you are reporting to the Enterprise Manager.

Hopefully if you have followed performance guidelines, you will have raised the heap of the Enterprise Manager from the default 1GB max of heap to 2GB, possibly 4GB.

You have to remember that the Enterprise Manager needs to collect and store data at 15 second intervals, and if it is overloaded, it won't be able to collect or store the data in time, and that is when you will see the gaps as you present.

So the normal thing would be to reduce load either by taking agents away or even trying to stop some agents reporting too much data.

Also increasing heap can help, or if you only have a standalone Enterprise Manager, you might have to consider a cluster, provided you have the hardware available to host this.

We would want to see the Enterprise Manager logs (including perflog) to give any sort of informed recommendation.

Thanks,

David

• 4.  Re: Data Collection Problems

Posted Mar 25, 2015 09:58 AM

It really sounds like a performance issue.

What kind of agent/metric are you running? What metric/agent is this snapshot taken from?

Can you post Connection Status information for your agents?

Regards,

Roger