APM Top 20 Accessed KB Articles for February 2015
1. APM Cluster Performance Health Check TEC604648 http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec604648.aspx
Description: The Perflog can reveal much about the health of the Collectors in a cluster. This article discusses the most easily diagnosed issues. For a complete analysis, CA Services should be engaged for a comprehensive health check.
2. When do we have to use the flag XX:-UseSplitVerifier ? Why is this needed? TEC600823http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec600823.aspx
Description: Use of the flag XX:-UseSplitVerifier
3. Why are WebSphere nodes in a cluster failing to start, even if one node is not instrumented? TEC614151 http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec614151.aspx
Description: The IBM Class Sharing feature, which is enabled out of box, causes classes to be stored locally. The classes could contain bytecode instrumented by the Agent. So even if the Agent is removed, those references are still loaded and can cause startup issues. This article addresses how to resolve this issue and what can be done to configure Class Sharing properly.
4..NET Agent OOM, High CPU - Checklist TEC596327http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec596327.aspx
5. Security details for the ServletHeaderDecorator setting introscope.agent.decorator.security TEC611166http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec611166.aspx
Description: By enabling the ServletHeaderDecorator, APM adds the x-wily-info HTTP header. In the introscopeAgent.profile, the security settings can be set to either clear or encrypted. This is explained in the header in that file:
6. Creating Frontends, Backends and App Map data for non J2EE applications TEC605137http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec605137.aspx
Description: Non J2EE applications tend not to report Frontend and Backend metrics and may not populate the Application Triage map. This can be corrected with a number of custom directives.
7. Getting "Exception starting method tracer actual trace for oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleCallableStatement.execute" error. TEC616456http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec616456.aspx
Description: A cause and possible solution to the error message: "[ERROR] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] starting method tracer actual trace for ..."
8. A Guide to Solving Common Stats and Defects Aggregation Problems TEC610521http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec610521.aspx
Description: This tech note is an expansion of Stats Aggregation Issue after Upgrading from 9.0.x to 18.104.22.168, by Michal Lehotsky. The original document discusses ways to detect if statistical aggregation is not working and how to correct it.
9. An unwanted SOAP header is added to the webservice call for a newly deployed Java application managed by the APM agent. TEC603767 http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec603767.aspx
Description: An unwanted SOAP header is added to the webservice call for a newly deployed Java application managed by the APM agent:
<WSCorIDSOAPHeader xmlns="http://www.wilytech.com/" soapenv:mustUnderstand="0" soapenv:actor=""
10. How to use PersistentTransactionTracer.xml with APM TEC597689 http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec597689.aspx
Description: How to use PersistentTransactionTracer.xml with APM
11.Oracle 11gR2 APM database is growing very large. TEC598184http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec598184.aspx
Description: The APMDB database can become very large even when it contains very little data. The problem is seen with Oracle version 22.214.171.124 and above, and is especially noticeable on Introscope only deployments.
12. Scenario: Publish IT Metrics to Mobile Devices using CA Executive Insight - Part 1 TEC595569 http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec595569.aspx
13. Smartstortools Help TEC609741http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec609741.aspx
Description: Best practices and examples for Smartstortools usage.
14. What is the difference between the files Agent.jar, AgentNoRedef.jar, AgentNoRetrans.jar, AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar? TEC604200http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec604200.aspx
Description: What is the difference between the jar files:1. Agent.jar - canRedefine and canRetransform settings are both set to true2. AgentNoRedef.jar - canRedefine setting is set to false (no longer used)3. AgentNoRetrans.jar - canRetransform setting is set to false (no longer used)4. AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar - canRedefine and canRetransform settings are both set to false. With the introduction of the retransformation option in the IBM JVM 1.6 this jar was developed to address performance issues being experienced by some clients and replaces the AgentNoRedef.jar and AgentNoRetrans.jar
15. What issues have been addressed in APM in 126.96.36.199? TEC585503 http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec585503.aspx
Description: What issues have been addressed in APM in 188.8.131.52?
16. How to Configure CA APM to use LDAP Authentication (Introscope and APM CE)TEC595290 http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec595290.aspx
Description: CA APM gives you choices for securing and authorizing access to some or all of the features and domains of the Enterprise Manager and Workstation. Using LDAP, you can authenticate user and group access with CA APM while maintaining user and group authorization in local configuration files.
There are 3 ways to secure CA APM
Local - Users and groups are both authenticated and given authorization via local configuration files maintained on the Enterprise Manager server.
LDAP - Users and groups are authenticated by LDAP directories but authorized by local configuration files maintained on the Enterprise Manager server or CA EEM.
EEM - Users and groups are both authenticated and authorized by a CA EEM (CA Embedded Entitlements Manager) server for CA APM activities.
This article discusses how you can integrate CA APM with your own LDAP directory for authentication to the APM Workstation and Enterprise Manager.
17. How to implement CA EEM and LDAP for Authentication and Authorization of CA APM TEC593939http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec593939.aspx
Description: Using CA EEM, CA Embedded Entitlements Manager, in conjunction with a supported LDAP Server, it is possible to eliminate manual updates to CA APM configuration files every time you need to add a new user, change a password or update access permissions.
CA EEM allows you to utilize a supported LDAP server for authentication while it controls authorization policies for LDAP users and groups. If you do not use LDAP, EEM can even perform authentication duties using the secure, proprietary CA Directory, which is included.
CA EEM is bundled with CA APM and is available from the APM Product Downloads Page on support.ca.com. It can be installed on the same or a separate server as the Enterprise Manager. CA EEM supports many CA products, serving as a single point of control for authentication and authorization.
18. Upgrading CA APM agent custom PBDs to the 9.1 new agent architecture TEC566300http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec566300.aspx
Description: How to upgrade CA APM agent custom PBDs to the 9.1 new agent architecture.
19. Using the APM Database without APM CE (CEM ) creates large empty data partitions. TEC614229
Description: Note that this applies ONLY applies when the following three conditions are met:1. APM CE (CEM) is not deployed. So the APM database is only being used for triage map operations.
2. The APM database is using Oracle version 11gR2 and later.
3. There is a need to save disk space instead of creating empty partitions
20. .NET perfmon, high CPU utilization, and the perfmoncollectoragent TEC604893http://ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec604893.aspx
Description: Are you seeing high CPU usage on a .NET agent?
Are you using the perfmoncollectoragent?
To verify that perfmon is causing high CPU utilization, disable perfmon. Knowledge Document:
explains how to diagnose perfmon as the root cause.