DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Need to enable mounted agent in Introscope

Posted Apr 16, 2014 01:47 PM

Hi All,

I am new to Introscope .

I mounted one agent from Superdomain and it is grayed right now, I want to enable it.

Please advise 

• 2.  RE: Need to enable mounted agent in Introscope

Posted Apr 16, 2014 04:47 PM

Hi and Welcome to APM.  The agent will grey out if there is no activity on the server.  After time even the server can go away due to inactivity.  If you stimulate/use the application then it should wake right up and gather metrics, but again, no activity it will grey out again.  This is normal application behaviour.

• 3.  RE: Need to enable mounted agent in Introscope
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 16, 2014 10:00 PM

Hi Afzal,

If the entire node is greyed out, it could mean that agent is not reporting. One of the reasons could be that agent has stopped/killed. Please check agent process or logs on application server to see if the agent is still started. You may also check for connection status metric value =1 for that agent in investigator to see if it is still connected. Below is the path for connection status metric

Custom Metric Host (Virtual) \ Custom Metric Process(Virtual) \ Custom Metric Agent (Virtual) (*SuperDomain*) \ Agents \

If the agent is stopped, you need to start it and it should be automatically mounted/active in investigator.

Thanks & Regards,

Mukesh Singh

• 4.  RE: Need to enable mounted agent in Introscope

Posted Apr 17, 2014 09:57 AM

Thanks Mukesh it really helped.

Just one question if Node/server brought down all agents are greyed out.

Is there is any chance they are not displaying when node brought down or they are just greyed out not disappear .

Actually when our node down the services under FRONTEND >>APPS are greyed out and when node up it comes online and functional but is there any change something disappear while node shutdown.

Please advise.

• 5.  RE: Need to enable mounted agent in Introscope

Posted Apr 17, 2014 11:45 AM
    Hi Afzaal, Apologies, I did not understand your question fully but still I will try to answer based on my assumption. If only some of the frontends are greyed out, it may be because the application component is not being exercised and after sometime it will disappear. Hope this is what you asked. Regards, Mukesh Singh

• 6.  RE: Need to enable mounted agent in Introscope

Posted Apr 17, 2014 02:21 PM

Thanks Mukesh.

Correct I want to know that is it possible that after recycle it disappear...or just there in grey state.

Means is there any chance to disappear .

• 7.  Re: RE: Need to enable mounted agent in Introscope

Posted Jun 12, 2015 05:08 PM

Hi Afzaal,

Yes, the metric will be removed after some time. By default this works by the following design:

- If a metric has no new data for 30 days, it will be considered for removal

- Every 24h there is a job running searching for agent metrics to be aged out.

- In every run of this job, a maximum of 500 metrics are being discarded and removed, so finally they do not show up anymore.

So a gray metric should disappear after around 30 days + x in case there are more than 500 metrics/day to be aged out.

This is configurable, please check the Introscope Agent settings for that. Values above are the defaults:

# The time interval in seconds when metrics are checked for removal

# You must restart the managed application before changes to this property take effect.

introscope.agent.metricAging.heartbeatInterval=86400

#

# During each interval, the number of metrics that are checked for metric removal

# Changes to this property take effect immediately and do not require the managed application to be restarted.

introscope.agent.metricAging.dataChunk=500

#

# The metric becomes a candidate for removal when it reaches the number of intervals set (numberTimeslices) and has not invoked any new data points during that period. 

# If the metric does invoke a new data point during that period then the numberTimeslices resets and starts over. 

# Changes to this property take effect immediately and do not require the managed application to be restarted.

introscope.agent.metricAging.numberTimeslices=180000

Kind regards,

Stefan