Plex 2E

View Only
  • 1.  Valid value of the century character 'c'

Posted Oct 22, 2018 02:46 AM

Hello,

IBM date data type * YMD century character 'c' valid values range from 1 to 9 and the year range can be handled from 1900 to 2899.
    We want to set the effective value of the century character 'c' in the DTE type field of 2E to 1 to 9 like the * YMD, and want to handle the range of years from 1900 to 2899.
    Does anyone know method for realization this?

We are using 2E r8.7.

Regards,
    Hifumi

• 2.  Re: Valid value of the century character 'c'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2018 03:28 PM

Hi Hifumi, 

I found this information regarding the Century Byte for 2E.  The information is somewhat dated but I believe is still the case...

Any date greater than 1940 is held in the product as century "0".  While 2000 to 2039 is held as century"1".   The range of the date type fields is 1940 to 2039.  This range is fixed and not adjustable.  Also, I did found references in the latest (2E 8.7) documentation stating the the date field has been increased to 2199.

-Steve

• 3.  Re: Valid value of the century character 'c'

Posted Oct 24, 2018 03:00 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your comment.

I know that 2E date type DT# can be handled until 2199.
    Our customers are using 2E Date Type DTE(Internal value : CYYMMDD).

Is it possible to make this "DTE" correspond to IBM's extended century format *CYMD?

* Source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzasd/sc092508.pdf
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extended century format  *CYMD (cyy/mm/dd)
    The valid values for the century character 'c' are now:
    ’c’ : Years
    -- : ------------
    0 : 1900-1999
    1 : 2000-2099
    . .
    . .
    . .
    9 : 2800-2899

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is no way to realize this now, should we post this to the idea?

Regards,
    Hifumi

• 4.  Re: Valid value of the century character 'c'

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2018 09:57 AM

Hifumi, 

Sorry for the delay in reply.   We had to research this further...It is not possible in the current configuration of CA 2E.

We recommend to post an 'Idea' for this purpose and we can take a look at extending the date range in the way that you are looking for. 

Thank You 

Steve 

• 5.  Re: Valid value of the century character 'c'

Posted Oct 28, 2018 10:40 PM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your advice.

I will post a valid value of the century character 'c' on idea.

Regards,
    Hifumi

• 6.  Re: Valid value of the century character 'c'

Posted Oct 30, 2018 08:09 AM

Hello Hifumi,

I would like to add the following information concerning your statement

„I know that 2E date type DT# can be handled until 2199“.Our customers are using 2E Date Type DTE(Internal value : CYYMMDD).”

As a reviewing of the date and time area in 2E took place at the time of Release 5.1 (so more than 20 years ago!), one can of course easily forget that it was with this release that the date range for the DTE field was increased, too. (Not the same range and display as with IBM’s CYMD, of course).

Starting with the mentioned 2E release, the range for the DTE field is the same as for the DT# and D8# fields: From 01.01.1801-31.12.2199.

The century digit is stored in the following way on the file:

Years starting with 18 are stored as a negative value.

Years starting with 19 are stored with 0 (not visibile)

Years starting with 20 are stored with 1.

Years starting with 21 are stored with 2.

You can easily test this by assigning Edit Code “/” or “–“ to a DTE field on the screen to make the year show as four digits, and then see how the different dates are stored on the file according to the rules mentioned above.

You can get more interesting and important information on internal and external formats of the different date field types on the “Defining a data model"  User Guide, pages 68-78.

I just wanted to add this, not knowing of course what exactly are your requirements. Also, I saw that you have posted your idea on the idea wall.

Best regards

Anette-Nicole

• 7.  Re: Valid value of the century character 'c'

Posted Nov 01, 2018 09:56 PM

Hello Anette-Nicole,

Thank you for useful information.

We confirmed that the effective input range of 2E Date Type DTE is up to 2199 by setting the screen input format of DTE to 8 digits.

We ask the customer to change the screen input form of DTE to 8 digits to respond. With this correspondence they will be able to avoid date problems for a while.

However, We think that the idea proposed by me should also be adopted.
    (We do not know how long they will continue to use 2E.)

Regards,
    Hifumi