Plex 2E

View Only
  • 1.  Moving iSeries and 2E to the Cloud?

Posted Jun 19, 2017 03:27 AM

The company I work for are move the iSeries (System i) to the cloud. Presume others have done this but are there any pitfalls for running the iSeries from the cloud particular as far as using 2E is concerned. Must admit I'm not family with the architecture but can the iSeries be virtualised and run from the cloud (unless that part of the "cloud" is simply another iSeries rather than a Wintel platform!). As one wag said on another forum the cloud is simply someone else's computer.

• 2.  Re: Moving iSeries and 2E to the Cloud?

Posted Jun 19, 2017 07:31 PM

Kevin,

There are some different ways to look at moving CA 2E/ Synon and the IBM i Series.

•      As long as the iSeries is at a current version of OS (V7RX) and current version of CA 2E (v.8.7) then yes it can be moved to the cloud and virtualized onto an MSP provided IBM i cloud.
    •      If the iSeries is not at current OS or current with application provider it is most likely better to relocate the environment with a more traditional hosting approach with needed hardware, backup, and operations support services from an MSP with an IBM i focus.
    •      If you are looking to convert a CA 2E/Synon application from iSeries to a Windows or Linux platform ultimately the ability to do so is up to the application and expertise. There is an automated technique called CM M3 that converts to CA Plex for this purpose.