Plex 2E

View Only
  • 1.  Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Posted Oct 18, 2016 01:35 PM

Hello,

I am evaluating the benefits for a customer to move from PLEX 7.1 (Bld 005) to latest 7.2 and would like to learn your experiences and challenges, if you have gone through this upgrade.

My customer has 2 apps maintained from the same Model: WinC++ / C# clients running against the same iSeries (400) backend.

What is the extent of the regeneration required?

Any issues you have encountered?

Thanks in advance,

Lucio

PLEX WORLD

• 2.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2016 03:21 PM

Lucio,

Were you asking about regeneration/rebuild requirements for upgrading to CA Plex 7.2 from r7.1? You said the "latest" 7.2, so I assumed you had made a typo and were asking about the latest release of Plex, but on second thought, you probably meant the latest build 22.000. 

As per the Plex 7.2 release notes, you do not need to regen/rebuild any of your WinC,WinNT, C#, nor RPG functions.

P.S. please review the Plex 7.2.1 release notes, in case I misinterpreted your question. You would only need to regen and rebuild the WinC/WinNT objects in this case, as the Plex runtimes have been updated.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

• 3.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Posted Oct 20, 2016 08:41 AM

Hi Stephen,

Actually, the latest release I have is Build 24 so I was wondering about any particular challenge about upgrading from 7.1 PTF5 WinC + C# with iSeries backend to this release.

I will review the details of the release notes but I am a little confused with your details above as you indicated the WinC doesn't need to be rebuilt but later stated it is needed. What is the extent of the regeneration required? 

And for everybody, after the upgrade, what is the major issue, if any, that you have encountered?

Thanks,

Lucio

• 4.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 20, 2016 08:59 AM

Hi Lucio!

Talking on Plex 7.2, as it seems to be your version, we upgraded several months ago, without important issues. We have maybe thounsads of winc functions, and there was not problem maintaining 6.1 dlls with the new runtime. Simply we compiled with 7.2 any changed or new function, integrating them into the 6.1 majority of objects. Some of our found problems (winc):

In some scenarios, generating with debug option activated produced a GPF. It was solved with a fix. Same for an issue with grids, with the select grid subroutine: it was triggered again after reload grid (solved). There is a pending case with client calls to System i objects: call status is not returning error if a function/object is not found or fails.

There are a couple of minor issues for System i or java, but maybe it is out of your scope.

Jorge

• 5.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2016 09:44 AM

Hi Lucio,

Some facts:

(1) The latest GA release is CA Plex 7.2.1 (build 24).

(2) CA Plex 7.2 and 7.2.1 are two distinct releases.

(3) There is no build 24 in CA Plex 7.2.

(4) The highest build number in 7.2 is build 22.

Since you expressed above that you are using "build 24", the latest release you are using is CA Plex 7.2.1 (build  24). You are not using CA Plex 7.2.

Now that it's clear which release you are using, the only objects you would need to regen & rebuild are your WinC functions and the objects which are scoped to them - not your C# client functions, nor your RPG server functions on the iSeries.

Please take some time to read the CA Plex 7.2.1 (build 24) release notes.

HTH,

Stephen

• 6.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2016 09:50 AM

"but I am a little confused with your details above as you indicated the WinC doesn't need to be rebuilt but later stated it is needed. What is the extent of the regeneration required?" - L.G.

Lucio, the links I cited above point to different URLs for (1) the Plex 7.2. release notes, and (2) the Plex 7.2.1 release notes. It was not clear by your problem statement which version of Plex you were using, so I provided the release notes for both releases for you to choose from. Please note the regeneration requirements for Plex 7.2. and Plex 7.2.1 are slightly different, as indicated in the release notes cited above, due to updated runtimes in the latter release.

• 7.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Posted Nov 10, 2016 11:07 AM

Stephen,

After reading the Upgrade Requirements for Windows C++ Functions (WinC) going from 7.1 > 7.2.1 these objects do not need to be regenned, can you confirm this? Above you wrote 'the only objects you would need to regen & rebuild are your WinC functions' but I don't think that is needed.

Also, for C#, the notes indicate 'When upgrading to CA Plex r7.2.1, it's not mandatory to regenerate or rebuild existing Java, C# or RPG functions' therefore it seems I don't need to regenerate anything. Could you confirm?

Thanks,

Lucio

• 8.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 11:32 AM

Lucio,

YOU MUST REGEN/REBUILD C++ OBJECTS

<cite- Upgrading from Earlier Releases - CA Plex - 7.2.1 - CA Technologies Documentation >

You MUST regen & rebuild your existing C++ functions (WinC and WinNT).

You read the C# documentation correctly.

• 9.  Re: Plex 7.2 Upgrade

Posted Nov 10, 2016 11:36 AM

OK, thank you!

Lucio