Plex 2E

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

• 1.  Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Posted Sep 01, 2016 04:15 AM

Release documentation states, (New and Updated features/Features removed from CA Plex 7.2.1)

Bookshelf is no more being shipped as part of the product. This CA Plex Wiki Documentation space displays the most current information.

While it would be better if wiki is at least the same as bookshelf, it will be a bad solution if not updated or/AND reviewed by people wit knowledge in Plex. At first sight, indeed wiki is incomplete, containing minimal information on several cases, or directly a mess of data, like the info for System i (Reference/System i components). In this case, I personally pointed on that unaccuracy some months ago, and it continues like first time.

In that scenario, bookshelf is lost.

• 2.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 04:44 AM

Hi Jorge,

I totally agree that our CA Plex wiki documentation is incomplete and inaccurate in some areas. Did you know that you can post a comment on any wiki page to cite the specific documentation bugs? Those comments are reviewed directly by the scrum team, and will be addressed by them, so please do post your comment with specific details about the bugs on the wiki page where they occur.

As far as the doc being incomplete, that is very true. Our doc assumes a certain level of experience developing business applications using CA Plex. However, we do have sample applications and guides that can be followed by novice Plex developers to learn some things. A better reference is the Plex online Help system built into the tool and accessible through the Help menu, but you need some knowledge to ask it the right questions, as the search tool ranks the results based on keyword frequency (apparently). 

The entry price of CA Plex license and maintenance fees is very low, so the CA Plex Product team is a bit resource-constrained; however, we do have partners who can deliver high-quality CA Plex Education services for additional fees.

• 3.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Posted Sep 01, 2016 05:59 AM

Hi Stephen,

Yes, I know it is possible to post comments here. And so I do. In the mentioned case of System i components, I posted a comment today, but in this particular case, I did it two times, the first one several months ago, clearly with no results.

My concern is this: Bookshelf was a defined set of documents. If such documents will be replaced, it means that documents will not be there (because there is no bookshelf), but in the new wiki. If that wiki will be the only source for such documents, it would mean a weak source of knowledge.

• 4.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 07:48 AM

Jorge, just to confirm, are you saying that you posted a comment here or on this community forum? I do not see any comments posted to this page. It is currently showing zero public comments. Of course, I do not have admin or author rights to the docops platform, so I suppose the admin may have it setup to review all public comments before they are posted. That could also explain why I do not see any comments.

You also mentioned that you posted the comment a few months ago, but it was not addressed. I checked the 7.2 wiki page and the 7.1 wiki page, but they are both showing zero public comments.

Please let me know if you did in fact post your comments to the docops wiki page. That is what I am asking you to do, if you have not already done so, because the scrum team should be reviewing all of your comments posted there. If you have posted the comments, and they are not showing publicly and were never addressed, then let me know, and I'll follow up with the scrum team.

• 5.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Posted Sep 01, 2016 08:57 AM

commented today, here. Regarding old comments, I need to remember what version of wiki was. Let me see.

• 6.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 09:08 AM

Jorge, thank you for citing a link to your comment. Do you have more constructive feedback to provide? How would you prefer that the scrum team organize the existing Reference/System i components content so that it's not, "a mess" from your point of view? 

• 7.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Posted Sep 01, 2016 09:26 AM

On System i components, it seems to me it's evident half its content pertains to other areas, maybe some to "Using", and other to "Reference/Ca Plex components", perhaps another to a new area named "tutorials". System i components should be platform related, and the only item well located there is "System i product libraries". You only need to see the Plex Help on System i to define what content to put here. It is the only case?

• 8.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 09:49 AM

Jorge,

Thank you for the constructive feedback! Would you please copy and paste your feedback above to this page? If you post your constructive feedback to this page, I am confident that our scrum team will consider making some changes to the organization of the wiki. I will follow then follow-up with the scrum team and request that they reply back to you on the same page with their feedback after considering your input. 

Cheers,

• 9.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Posted Sep 01, 2016 11:57 AM

Done...

• 10.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 12:15 PM

Jorge, thank you. So sorry to ask for so much effort on your part, but we are a very customer-centered organization, so your feedback is valued most by our product teams, and you will get more direct access to the scrum team, who owns the Plex documentation, by channeling your feedback and constructive ideas about improving the documentation through the docops platform, not this user community forum. 

As promised, I will follow up with the Product team and ask them to focus on considering your feedback and replying to you.

• 11.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Posted Sep 02, 2016 06:14 AM

Usually I do so: comments where them pertain. But I mentioned here wiki indirectly, because bookshelf is annunced to be retired from product distribution and replaced with that wiki. And it would be a loss on such conditions.

• 12.  Re: Plex 7.2.1: bookshelf replaced by Wiki

Posted Sep 01, 2016 09:14 AM

On same issue, Plex 7.2. I would say commented some other issue, but can't remember what.