Plex 2E

View Only
  • 1.  CA Plex Database Options

Posted Jun 28, 2015 09:09 PM

G'day All,

I'm looking at what the various options are for database generation with CA Plex.

The marketing material suggests that IBM i DB2, MS SQL and Oracle are the only database options.

Can I use any JDBC compliant database for Java based applications? For instance is Apache Cassandra supported - which is a free and open source database?

Regards,

Darryl

• 2.  Re: CA Plex Database Options

Posted Jun 29, 2015 03:15 AM

Hi Darryl -

You should be able to run any JDBC compliant database with Plex Java. In order to generate/build the the tables/views/indexes you will need an ODBC driver for the DB. As of my knowledge there are ODBC drivers for Cassandra, but I am not sure if they are free.

Best regards

Lorenz

• 3.  Re: CA Plex Database Options

Posted Jun 29, 2015 06:32 AM

Hi Darryl,

We have successfully used the following databases with JDBC connections:

- IBM DB2 (IBM i/Windows)

- PostgreSQL (Linux/Windows)

- MySQL (Linux/Windows)

- MariaDB (Windows)

- MS SQL

- HSQLDB

Did some work in order to migrate tables/views to the different databases but not a big task!

So I see no reason that the JDBC driver for Cassandra should not work with Plex. Personally my next en devour will be Neo4J.

-Niels P.

Websydian

• 4.  Re: CA Plex Database Options

Posted Jun 29, 2015 07:28 PM

Neo looks interesting

• 5.  Re: CA Plex Database Options

Posted Jun 30, 2015 02:16 PM

Hi Darryl

let me add DB2 UDB on Linux (Ubuntu & Red Hat) with Java variant at least until Plex 6.1, MS SQL Server with JEE (server layer for Webclient apps) with Plex 6.1. Old times (Plex 3 to 5), Sybase with ODBC variants, and sometime, long ago, writing to a flat text file by using MS ODBC text driver.

Jorge Ubeda