Plex 2E

View Only

Transcript CA 2E Office Hours: A Live Online Chat [June 2015]

• 1.  Transcript CA 2E Office Hours: A Live Online Chat [June 2015]

Posted Jun 17, 2015 12:08 PM

Lenn Thompson - CA

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for joining our session. We have our CA 2E team here today -- what questions do you have for them?

Raghunath Daita

Hello Everyone. Good Morning!

Raghunath Daita

This is Raghu  the CA 2E Team.

Richard Wilson

Hello Everyone,  Good to be here, and the fist question just has to be "Given that Simon has gone to greater things, are there any dates lined up for the start of 8.7?'

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Rich 8.7 is GA

Richard Wilson

D'Oh - I meant 8.8 of course - its hinted at in a old droad map document I came across

Gary Haut

I am in the process of regression testing 8.7 against 8.6.  I noticed in the generated DDSSRC source code for a panel, 2E now restricts cursor positioning on a protected field.  I don't see anything in the documentation reflecting this change,  Can you provide any insights or should I file an issue with Product Support?

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Rich There isn't a set time yet for 8.8. We'll probalby know more after the first of the year.

Richard Wilson

Excellent - sign me up,

george jeffcock

Afternoon everyone. Does 2E have a Product Manager as Daniel is now the Product Owner?`

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Jeff Dan continues to be the product manager and the acting product owner for right now.

george jeffcock

GEORGE

Lenn Thompson - CA

@George -- sorry about that. That was meant for you!

george jeffcock

common mistake CA has made countless times over the years and it is actually a running joke, may just change my name to jeff

Lenn Thompson - CA

I'm transcribing for Dan Short -- who hurt his hand and can't type. So bear with me!

george jeffcock

How will @Dan juggle both roles and what is the timescale for a new hire to be the owner

george jeffcock

juggle no pun intend with your sore hand @Dan

Lenn Thompson - CA

@George At this time there doesn't seem to be a timeline but there is a req open for the position.

Lenn Thompson - CA

@George Are you interested in the position?

Raghunath Daita

@Gary - There isn't any documentation reflecting this change. Looks like it could be a probable defect. It is a good idea to raise an issue with Product Support so that we can look at it.

Gary Haut

@Raghunath Thank you

Mathews

Can we change how the forums are organised. Currently everything just jumbled up. No seperation between 2e and Plex discussions.  Also incluse another sub topic for 2e/plex miscellaneous postings. Like the old Edge groupings.

Raghunath Daita

@Gary - Sure. Thank you :-)

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Mathews Good morning! There is actually a great way to separate the Plex and 2E content. If you go to the community and then click on "Content" it will bring you here. https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-plex-ca-2e/content  there, you will see the two products listed as content categories along the left side. If you click one, it will filter ALL of the content to just show the product you're interested in.

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Mathews so the 2E content would be here: https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-plex-ca-2e/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5Bca-2e%5D

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Mathews and if you scroll down to the bottom you'll see that you can set up an RSS feed of JUST this content.

Mathews

@Lenn. Yes I can do that, but when we post something there it does does force one to enter in 2e or plex. You can go to 2e section and it shows all kinds of plex posting and vice versa.

george jeffcock

@Dan I felt this made interesting reading https://communities.ca.com/thread/241733376?sr=stream&ru=565247 . How does it match up to how CA strategically are going with 2E and separately how you plan to take the product onwards

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Mathews You're absolutely right that that can happen, but my team periodically monitors these to capture any of those "orphans" and then assign them a category if possible.

Lenn Thompson - CA

@George Dan has seen it and looked at it. He thinks it's interesting, but there are 3-4 things that are higher priority right now that came out of the conference.

Lorenz Alder

@Dan: What is the CA Strategy for building mobile clients?

george jeffcock

@Lenn was that 3 or was that 4 things and would you care listing them for the record

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Lorenz The appdev strategy has been focus more on building/exposing back-end servers and services -- and then using some sort of industry standard IDE for building the UI. It's not inconceivable that we'll come up with a common IDE to work with ASO and API gateway.

Raghunath Daita

@George . The salient features that came up for 2E at the Conference

a) Enhancing Cross Browser compatibility for CA 2E Web Option

b) SQL Enhancements to help customers take advantage of SQL Engine improvements by IBM

Raghunath Daita

@George - There were a number of specific SQL enhancements that came up such as - ability to have partitioned tables/indexes, generation of Optimize for N Rows, ability to have Varchar support, to name a few

Lenn Thompson - CA

Do we have other questions for our 2E experts?

Lorenz Alder

When will 2E go open source :-)

Lenn Thompson - CA

@Lorenz Dan says that's not currently planned.

Lorenz Alder

@all: Thanks for your time, have to quit...

george jeffcock

PCML files and IWS

george jeffcock

do the experts know if it is possible to use the Column Count if the INT is an output field BUT in a STRUCTURE

Lenn Thompson - CA

@George Are you asking a question with "PCML files and IWS"?

george jeffcock

why I ask is using IBMi new RESTful IWS support and would like to expose rpg pgms but their  counters are output within structure types and therefore IWS seems not to liek that

Raghunath Daita

@George - So one of the things that we looked at is enhancing the PCML, by post processing it, to have a count generated into it and also have meaningful names, which ensures that only the populated results are passed back. This is not in the product at this stage though.

george jeffcock

"ensures that only the populated results are passed back." exactly and been around for years

Raghunath Daita

@George - One more thing is that we have looked at the new RESTful IWS support. To add more value  a 2E perspective, it would help if we can automate the various scripts to automatically publish RESTful services, similar to current SOAP services  2E. However, IBM has not yet updated these scripts at this point in time. We are in touch with IBM on this.

george jeffcock

@Raghunath but during your research on the topic do you know if the limitation of the counter has to be an INT but also MUST be a separate output param and not part of a structure of output params?

george jeffcock

@Raghunath one of my favorites currently https://wiki.ca.com/display/CA2E87/Web%20Service%20Creation#WebServiceCreation-PCMLinModule

Raghunath Daita

@George - Yes I agree to that.

george jeffcock:

@Raghunath well remember if you find any info on Structures and counter for PCML. Well done on contacting IBMi on the scripts for Restful as its a pain to create them using the wizard but glad we still can so thant you ibm also. Latters. @Dan rest your hand

Raghunath Daita:

@George - I agree to your point about the counter. It would surely make things easier if we can look at implement it.