Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  DB Connection lifespan

Posted Nov 21, 2019 08:47 AM
    Hi All,

I have created some tests and in between am connecting to the database using the JDBC step available in devtest.

Once the connection gets established, am able to do multiple operations as usual on the DB.

But i am not able to see any step in devtest to close the connection from the DB.

Does devtest take care of the closing of the connection by itself once the test gets closed or do i need to explicitly close the connection, if yes how can I do that.

Please help to answer.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Prasant
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: DB Connection lifespan
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2019 09:14 AM
    Hi Prasant
            It was not clear to me if you are using the JDBC connection pool. If you are using the connection pool, devtest creates a connection pool for you and manages idle connections and taking care of returning connections to the pool based on various parameters. Please refer to this URL for lisa.jdbc.pool.* properties. https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/continuous-testing/devtest-solutions/10-5/devtest-property-file-lisa-properties.html

In case if you are not using connection pool, the connection is automatically closed after the SQL step/operation completed. In case if you are not using connection pool and if you choose the option 'Keep Connection Open' then the following happens "If this option is selected, the database connection that is opened the first time that the step executes is cached. That database connection is then closed when garbage collection happens for the step. If 
    Keep Connection Open
     is not selected, the connection is closed each time that the step executes. " Refer: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/continuous-testing/devtest-solutions/10-5/reference/test-step-descriptions/other-transaction-steps/sql-database-execution-jdbc.html

We highly recommend using connection for efficient management of your DB connections.

--
    regards
    Sankar Natarajan

• 3.  RE: DB Connection lifespan

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2019 09:16 AM
    Please read the last line as " We highly recommend using connection pool for efficient management of your DB connections. "

--
    regards
    Sankar Natarajan

• 4.  RE: DB Connection lifespan

Posted Nov 26, 2019 07:06 AM
    Hi Sankar,

Even We are facing the same kind of issue. After opening the connection to the database, on completion of the run the connection doesn't get closed automatically.
    I have tried your suggestion of using the connection Pool.

The properties I have used in local.properties are as below:

lisadb.reporting.poolName=common
    lisadb.acl.poolName=common
    lisadb.broker.poolName=common
    lisadb.dradiscache.poolName=common

lisadb.pool.common.driverClass=com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
    lisadb.pool.common.url=jdbc:sqlserver://Hostname:Port;databaseName=DATABASENAME (Used our project Connection URL along with username and password)
    lisadb.pool.common.user=*****
    lisadb.pool.common.password_enc=*****

lisadb.pool.common.minPoolSize=0
    lisadb.pool.common.initialPoolSize=0
    lisadb.pool.common.maxPoolSize=10
    lisadb.pool.common.acquireIncrement=1
    lisadb.pool.common.maxIdleTime=45
    lisadb.pool.common.idleConnectionTestPeriod=5

After providing the above configurations in the logs i could see the following:

DEBUG com.itko.util.JdbcConnectionPool - Waited 0 ms for connectioncom.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyConnection@6e0768bf [wrapping: ConnectionID:36 ClientConnectionId: de686641-961a-4883-a8c4-5cdf944aedec] from DataSource: com.mchange.v2.c3p0.PoolBackedDataSource@a108e9fc [ connectionPoolDataSource -> com.mchange.v2.c3p0.WrapperConnectionPoolDataSource@b4b3c1a4 [ acquireIncrement -> 3, acquireRetryAttempts -> 30, acquireRetryDelay -> 1000, autoCommitOnClose -> false, automaticTestTable -> null, breakAfterAcquireFailure -> false, checkoutTimeout -> 0, connectionCustomizerClassName -> null, connectionTesterClassName -> com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.DefaultConnectionTester, contextClassLoaderSource -> caller, debugUnreturnedConnectionStackTraces -> false, factoryClassLocation -> null, forceIgnoreUnresolvedTransactions -> false, identityToken -> 2st33fa61affxatbei2rm|4950e17d, idleConnectionTestPeriod -> 0, initialPoolSize -> 3, maxAdministrativeTaskTime -> 0, maxConnectionAge -> 0, maxIdleTime -> 45, maxIdleTimeExcessConnections -> 0, maxPoolSize -> 15, maxStatements -> 0, maxStatementsPerConnection -> 0, minPoolSize -> 3, nestedDataSource -> com.mchange.v2.c3p0.DriverManagerDataSource@2829aacb [ description -> null, driverClass -> null, factoryClassLocation -> null, forceUseNamedDriverClass -> false, identityToken -> 2st33fa61affxatbei2rm|1ba4f653, jdbcUrl -> jdbc:sqlserver://HOSTNAME:PORT, properties -> {user=******, password=******} ], preferredTestQuery -> null, privilegeSpawnedThreads -> false, propertyCycle -> 0, statementCacheNumDeferredCloseThreads -> 0, testConnectionOnCheckin -> false, testConnectionOnCheckout -> false, unreturnedConnectionTimeout -> 0, usesTraditionalReflectiveProxies -> false; userOverrides: {} ], dataSourceName -> null, extensions -> {}, factoryClassLocation -> null, identityToken -> 2st33fa61affxatbei2rm|6f0152c6, numHelperThreads -> 3 ]

I have set the initial Pool size to be 0, but in the logs i see the count to be 3. So I guess the values which i have configured in the properties file has not been configured properly. Can you please help on the configuration part?

• 5.  RE: DB Connection lifespan

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2019 07:25 AM
    HI Venkat
                   Did you restart the DevTest components after updating the connection pool settings ? I expect Registry, Coordinator and Simulator components to be restarted.
    --
    regards
    Sankar Natarajan

• 6.  RE: DB Connection lifespan

Posted Nov 26, 2019 08:15 AM
    Hi sankar,

I am trying to run the step from my local machine in ITR mode. I have restarted the workstation after making the changes.

• 7.  RE: DB Connection lifespan

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2019 12:07 PM

HI Venkat
                 PLease update the db connection pool properties on Registry machine and restart registry, coord and simulator components once and check.
    --
    regards
    Sankar Natarajan

• 8.  RE: DB Connection lifespan

Posted Nov 27, 2019 02:07 AM
    Hi Sankar,
    I have added the db connection pool properties on Registry machine and after the restart I am getting the below error:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Cannot find the object "SVSE_TRANSACTIONS" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions.
    2019-11-26 18:57:26,786Z (02:57) [main] ERROR com.itko.lisa.utils.JpaUtil - ==== #################################### ====
    2019-11-26 18:57:26,786Z (02:57) [main] ERROR com.itko.lisa.utils.JpaUtil - Database does not contain a table ACTIVATION
    2019-11-26 18:57:26,786Z (02:57) [main] ERROR com.itko.lisa.utils.JpaUtil - ==== #################################### ====
    2019-11-26 18:57:26,786Z (02:57) [main] ERROR System.err - Database does not contain a table ACTIVATION
    2019-11-26 18:57:26,786Z (02:57) [main] ERROR com.itko.lisa.utils.JpaUtil - Database does not contain a table DRADISCACHE
    2019-11-26 18:57:26,786Z (02:57) [main] ERROR System.err - Database does not contain a table DRADISCACHE

The registry is trying to connect to the DB which is configured in the local.properties file instead of the registry DB. 
    Is it right to add the DB connection pool properties in the local.properties file of the registry server?

• 9.  RE: DB Connection lifespan

Posted Dec 01, 2019 01:25 PM
    Hi Sankar, 
    Can you help on the above error?