Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  Database schema change from 10.1 to 10.3 ?

Posted Sep 24, 2018 09:51 AM

Hello,

I looked in the documentation for possible schema changes in the database, when upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3, but could not find any. I still want to make sure that the schemas do not require an update for 10.3, thus I am asking here.

Thank you,

Théo Buri

• 2.  Re: Database schema change from 10.1 to 10.3 ?

Posted Sep 24, 2018 11:39 AM

Hello Theo,

I am not sure of schema changes from 10.1 to 10.3, but when upgrading you can still use the same database and not worry about these changes.

The database will be updated when you start the Registry for the first time. The same happens for the Enterprise Dashboard.

I am sending the link to our documentation regarding this:

Additional Upgrade Details - DevTest Solutions - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Additional Upgrade Details - DevTest Solutions - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope it helps.

Heloisa

• 3.  Re: Database schema change from 10.1 to 10.3 ?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2018 04:27 AM

Hi Theo, Heloisa,

Caveat, the below is my understanding of how things work during an upgrade and might not be the complete thruth

Heloisa is right in her statements and everything is handled automatically at startup of the newly installed DevTest version.

However, in the case there is a DB upgrade activity then potentially the DevTest technical DB user might need DBA rights on these databases (depends on the actual upgrade activities).

I know customers that do not give DBA rights to the DevTest technical DB user, whereby that user only got those rights at initial installation and they were revoked after installation. I know other customers where the DevTest technical DB user never got DBA rights and the initial databases were created manually by DBAs starting from the .ddl files.

DB upgrades after the new DevTest version is installed are handled internally in DevTest by the Flyway DB product. AFAIK the upgrade actions are defined in the /database/upgrade subdirectory of version 10.3. If you notice there are new files in version 10.3 then these SQLs will be executed when you first start the 10.3 Enterprise Dashboard and/or Registry. You can examine these files and assess if there are DB actions in there which your DevTest technical DB user isn’t allowed to do. Again, as Heloisa stated, if your DB user has DBA rights then an upgrade is OOTB and nothing to worry about.

If you want to be sure everything went ok after upgrade then check the enterprise dashboard and registry log after first startup of the new version.

Cheers,

Danny