Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  What is replacing ParameterList which is deprecated ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2017 05:47 AM

Hi all,

The com.itko.util.ParameterList class was deprecated in release 9.5

If you look at the 10.1 documentation (Create a Custom Java Test Step), the example stil use the ParameterList class.

Does anyone know what I need to use in replacement of the ParameterList class ?

• 2.  Re: What is replacing ParameterList which is deprecated ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2017 05:04 PM

What are you trying to do Vincent?

• 3.  Re: What is replacing ParameterList which is deprecated ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2017 02:15 PM

Hi Prema,

I have this question, too.  ParameterList is used to convert custom step configuration to/from XML.  It's is also used to get arguments, metadata, etc. from Request and Response objects.

--Mike

• 4.  Re: What is replacing ParameterList which is deprecated ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2017 05:39 PM

I am trying to create a Custom Java Test Step with parameters.

• 5.  Re: What is replacing ParameterList which is deprecated ?

Posted Nov 15, 2017 10:24 AM

The developer who announced the ParameterList deprecation is no longer with CA. However, I do remember him saying that you still need to use ParameterList when writing a custom step, and that when ParameterList is ready to be officially retired there will be guidance for what to replace it with.

• 6.  Re: What is replacing ParameterList which is deprecated ?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 15, 2017 11:31 AM

ParameterList was marked as deprecated as a reminder not be used in any *new* APIs or custom code.  This is to make things slightly easier when it is eventually retired for good.  For now it still appears in many of our longstanding  APIs.

The ultimate goal is to refactor each one of those APIs to use just regular java.util.Map or one of its implementations.  However, the scope of that refactoring is very large.  And there are some things that ParameterList does that java.util.Map doesn't that we would need to find/build replacements for.  A notable one is the ability to store multiple entries with the same key.

When we eventually do the work to retire ParameterList it won't be without some kind of notice.  I should also add that it will likely be easy to retain some kind of ParameterList class so we don't break the thousands of extensions currently in use.