Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  Installation on Oracle database

Posted Mar 02, 2016 10:36 AM

Hi guys!

Do any of you can share information on data files (location and their average size) of an DevTest's database on Oracle?

Plus, do you know if there's information on average growing of these files?

Thank you so much!!!

Patricio

• 2.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 10:59 AM

Not sure what version of DevTest you are on but this is for DevTest 9.1.0:

System Requirements - DevTest Solutions - 9.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

Database Administration - DevTest Solutions - 9.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

Database Maintenance - DevTest Solutions - 9.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

The size of your database, and how big it will eventually get to, will be depended on what types of metrics you want to store and how long you want to keep the data.

Hopefully the above links will give you answers to your questions.

• 3.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Posted Mar 02, 2016 01:43 PM

Hi Marcy! thanks for your answer!

I've gone through those links and I can't find what I'm looking for.

I just need specific data files and where are located in an Oracle database.... Although I suppose I can asume that that information will apply in any database.  Not necessarily the DevTest one.

Regarding average growing.. I'm looking for a ratio.. .like 20% annually for instance? starting at 100GB... to say something

Thanks!

Patricio

• 4.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 02:17 PM

I don't think there is any standard rule for that. Depends on how you are using DevTest - functional/performance, etc and how much data -ACLs, VSE metrics/CAI data/history, etc is written to the database tables.

• 5.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 02:27 PM

We do not work at the file level in Oracle,  only a connect string. 

You would have to go through your own oracle configuration to understand where the files are located.

Without knowing the what kind if workload you would be having, it is hard to gauge how much the database would grow annually or even monthly. 

CA Services might be able to provide a better answer for you.

• 6.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Posted Mar 04, 2016 10:59 AM

I agree with Marcy and Koustubh. There are so many variables, all of which are driven by a specific customer's implementation and usage, that go into to figuring out or projecting growth ratios.  Additionally, there is no built-in calculator within DevTest that allows a customer to input the hundreds of variables required to produce an estimated monthly/annual database schema growth rate.

The Oracle schema that the Registry connects to is the schema that will experience the greatest amount most growth.  The DevTest database connection properties will identify the SID and so on if you are seeking to find where the Registry database schema is located on your Oracle instance(s).  You can use a third party product such as DBVisualizer or Toad to view the DevTest schema, review the tables, and examine the size of each individual table.  

Is it possible for you to ask one of your DB Admins to create some type of monthly schema usage report for you?  You could use this type of reporting to create a rolling month-by-month analysis of consumption and project future growth based on your actual usage and experience.  This is likely to be more accurate because it is an experience-based calculation rather than a generic calculation.

• 7.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Posted Mar 04, 2016 11:27 AM

Joel - you can always submit this and get it voted up in the community. I would certainly find it helpful as the replies we've had to date are very much 'depends how you use it and what your transaction volumes are going to be'.

• 8.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Posted Mar 04, 2016 03:20 PM

Can I deploy an oracle instance or MySQL db on existing VSE server so that I can skip the derby connection which could result in better performance runs?

Any thoughts' is greatly appreciated.

What would be pros and con's if I had these both DB and VSE server on same.

• 9.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2016 05:29 PM

To answer VarahaPitla's question - you can put your database anywhere you want as long as the latency is < 20 ms between the database machine and the other DevTest components AND within the same Data Center for performance reasons.

• 10.  Re: Installation on Oracle database

Posted Mar 04, 2016 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reponse Koustubh