Service Virtualization

View Only
  • 1.  Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Sep 30, 2015 12:48 PM

Hi, 

I was using virtual service for performance testing and observed that irrespective of the load which u send to virtual service, virtual service engine returns only 10 responses per second. Due to this response time keeps or increasing for the test

Do we have any option where we can define random no of responses per second or increase the number of responses so that correct performance can be measured.

I am not using performance test environment of Devtest but using only virtual services in my performance test. The version which I am using is 8.0.2

Chart1 - Transaction per second can’t go beyond 10

Chart1.png

Chart2- Response time keeps increasing as server responds to only 10 request per second

chart2.png

Appreciate your response.

• 2.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Sep 30, 2015 02:41 PM

you need to get performance server license for vse, if you have license then you need to add property

lisa.vse.performance.enabled=true

• 3.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Oct 01, 2015 04:58 PM

Thanx Zeeshan for the response. How performance server license has an impact on VSE because for performance testing , we need to have simulator and coordinator servers which will help to host and run performance test.

In case of virtual service environment, if I asked to have performance server license, how different it would be from normal VSE. Also if I add property lisa.vse.performance.enabled=true, which feature it will enable and how it will help me in performance testing?

Appreciate your help.

• 4.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Oct 05, 2015 05:46 PM

I'm guessing the 10 tps is just a software cap from your license?  For a very simple VSM we are able to reach thousands of tps.

• 5.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Oct 05, 2015 05:56 PM

Not sure about it but as per my information there is no cap on the license. Also If I need to use the VSE for performance testing, do I really need to have some specific setting or some other performance license (to generate a load, I am not using DevTest).

Please help me to understand, how normal VSE is different than performance VSE. Can I set tps in that environment?

• 6.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 06, 2015 02:22 AM

You need to use a Performance license for any use of DevTest VSE in a performance environment.

First, without it, DevTest will throttle your response if they are above 10 tps. Normally, you can see an exception in your log files saying more or less that your response has been postponed. This has no impact for functional test, as the delay is ver short, but will make it unusable for many performance use case.

Second, performance license will allow you to change the number of thread allowed by virtual service. This is a property available both in your web console, or when you deploy a virtual service. This property will allow you to handle more load on a single VS by parallelizing it (with functional VSE, this is 1 thread only)

• 7.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Oct 09, 2015 06:47 PM

Thanks Dimitris for the response which I was looking. It really helped.

• 8.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Oct 13, 2015 03:32 PM

In addition to having the performance license enabled on your VSE, you can modify the capacity (number of threads) of your virtual service accordingly based on the incoming load (tps). This will help the virtual service respond as per the SLA set by you without any additional delays and would give expected results.

Thanks,

Surya.

• 9.  Re: Number of responses per second by virtual service

Posted Oct 21, 2015 01:44 PM

Thanks Surya. This helps!