Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  Using SDM DBMS option in Transformation Map with Datasubset

Posted May 01, 2018 02:18 PM

I need to use a combination of Subset & Transformation maps for performing Subset and Masking on SQL Server Database. I see that in Transformation map I can select the DBMS as SDM and documentation mentions that I can get more Masking Functions (similar to FDM) if I use SDM as the option in DBMS while creating Transformation Maps.

I had to proceed with using SDM based Map as the one for SQl Server had limited options. When I referred to this Map in Subset (Build MS SQL Server Scrambled Extract) option, I got a warning which stated that I need to select SQLServer based Map and selecting SDM Map might give errors at runtime or function might not work fine.

As an example, I am using SEQLOV as one of the functions. After I execute the Export script out of Subset, it runs fine but the fields are not transformed at all and are same as source (original value).

Could you please advise if using SDM is a correct way while doing this activity? 

• 2.  Re: Using SDM DBMS option in Transformation Map with Datasubset
    Best Answer

Posted May 02, 2018 04:43 AM

SDM is the legacy name for FDM - SDM transformation maps do not use any RDBMS specific features and should not be used with Subset; they are intended for use with FDM.

If you are intending to use Subset to ‘Subset and Transform', you should be building a SQL Server specific transformation map in DataMaker, as per the dialog warning seen in Subset.

SQL Server supports HASHLOV and RANDLOV - is SEQLOV specifically required to meet your masking requirements?

• 3.  Re: Using SDM DBMS option in Transformation Map with Datasubset

Posted May 02, 2018 01:21 PM

Thanks for the response. I need to use HASHLOV or SEQLOV or start with a specific value and then increment. 

But, I am able to see only below functions for the INT variable in Transformation Map, hence raised this query.

ADDPERCENT(nn)

HASH

HASH,123

HASH,789

NUMERIC USSSN

NUMERICFORMAT(##.##)

RANDOMINT(n,n)

RANDOMNUM,1,1000

RANDOMNUMERIC(n,n)

I need to transform INT variable with specific values and not Random ones, hence need HASHLOV or SEQLOV option. Something similar to SEQUENCE NUMBER in FDM would work fine as well.