Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  Masking using user defined function

Posted Mar 20, 2019 08:51 AM

Hi All,

i have written a sql function to mask a column which takes other column as input. But i am not sure how to use this in FDM.

i have used like function as [fcBirthDate](CUSTOMER_SOURCE_REF_ID)

Please provide any inputs to resolve this.  

Regards,

Raju Devolla. 

• 2.  Re: Masking using user defined function

Posted Mar 20, 2019 09:17 AM

Hi Raju

You should use the SQLFUNCTION masking option in FDM:

Enter the function call in the ‘Function SQL’ box above.

For more information, see https://docops.ca.com/ca-test-data-manager/4-7/en/reference/masking-functions-and-parameters#MaskingFunctionsandParameters-SQLFUNCTION

Regards,

Adrian

• 3.  Re: Masking using user defined function

Posted Mar 20, 2019 10:48 AM

Thanks Adrian for inputs. which connection this function will use to get values from function.  do i need to specify it somewhere. i tried this but value is not getting masked. Function in SQL server is working as expected. 

Regards,

Raju Devolla.

• 4.  Re: Masking using user defined function

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 20, 2019 09:19 AM

Raju,

You have to apply the SQLFunction masking rule for the column and invoke the custom function as below.

dbo.functioname(Parm1,Parm2...)

You can choose to use the masked value or original value in the function as well.

Thanks,

Anil

• 5.  Re: Masking using user defined function

Posted Mar 20, 2019 10:47 AM

Thanks Anil for inputs. which connection this function will use to get values from function.  do i need to specify it somewhere. i tried this but value is not getting masked. Function in SQL server is working as expected. 

Regards,

Raju Devolla.

• 6.  Re: Masking using user defined function

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 20, 2019 11:19 AM

Raju,

You have to connect to the database you are trying to mask and apply this function to the column. The custom function must reside on the same database you are connecting to for masking.

Thanks,

Anil

• 7.  Re: Masking using user defined function

Posted Mar 21, 2019 03:53 AM

Hi Anil,

I am trying to mask a file, how to proceed in this case. I know in Datamaker, we can choose source or target connection while using SQL function.

Please let me know if you have any working example for this.

Regards,

Vennlig hilsen

• 8.  Re: Masking using user defined function

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 21, 2019 11:22 AM

Unfortunately since you are masking a file, it is not possible to invoke a function on the database. You can maybe try creating a custom masking function in FDM and see if you can replicate the logic or maybe load the file to a database and perform masking there.

Create Custom Masking Functions - CA Test Data Manager - 4.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Anil