Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  Web Service Call for Test Data Generation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 26, 2018 02:53 PM

I'm trying to generate data using TDM functions . My customer's busines rules are very complex and it's very time consuming. Is there a more efficient way of doing this?... for example by calling the customer's webservices.

I read somewhere that TDM is able to make webservice calls. Would it be possible to use the customer's webservices for the generation of test data in TDM.

• 2.  Re: Web Service Call for Test Data Generation

Posted Sep 26, 2018 04:20 PM

Hi,

I know there is one way to do this from Javelin. As shown in the picture below, there is a WebService tab in your Javelin left pane, where you can add a web service element to your workflow.

There is also an example workflow called SoapRequestWithHeader doing that in the "[...]/Javelin/examples" folder that comes packaged with Test Data Manager, so you should be able to see it as well.

• 3.  Re: Web Service Call for Test Data Generation

Posted Sep 26, 2018 04:25 PM

The problem with using Javelin here, is there's no direct way to get the data back into datamaker/portal for use in a data pool/generator as far as I'm aware.

The only other thought would be to have a Javelin job get a whole mess of data from the REST API, and drop that in to a seedtable and then using the existing data generation functions. The Javelin flow could be run as a pre-publish job if it's not a one time load of the seedtable.

• 4.  Re: Web Service Call for Test Data Generation
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 26, 2018 04:21 PM

https://docops.ca.com/ca-test-data-manager/4-6/en/reference/data-generation-functions-and-parameters#DataGenerationFunctionsandParameters-RANDLOV(PERCNULL,@WADLLIST(URL,COLUMNNAME)@)

I used the following API that you should also be able to call to test the basics of this:

http://api.duckduckgo.com/?q=my+ip&format=xml

@randlov(0,@wadllist(http://api.duckduckgo.com/?q=my+ip&format=xml,Answer)@)@

Not the best example as far as the value goes, but it shows the usage of the function.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any doc for the wadllist function directly, but based on the fact that it appears that it only is shown in some of the *LOV functions, and its name end with *list – it could potentially handle multiple responses in the selected path and pick on at random (RANDLOV) or in sequence (SEQLOV).

The only other caveat is that this is ONLY supported in datamaker per the documentation. I have only tested it in datamaker.

If the webservice returns JSON or some other format, this will not work.

If it's needed via Portal, this will not work.

Posting an idea might be best.

• 5.  Re: Web Service Call for Test Data Generation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2018 05:26 AM

Thanks Sean, Xavier for the quick response.

Much appreciated.