Test Data Manager

View Only
  • 1.  Is it possible hashlov function mask the data from two different source?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 05:33 AM

Hi
    There are two different source DB, for example, MS SQL and Oracle. And is required one masking for the identical data in this different DBs. Is it possible use hashlov function for this case? Or maybe there are other desisions for the task?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Is it possible hashlov function mask the data from two different source?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 26, 2017 09:11 AM

HASHLOV is exactly what you would use in this situation. Since a hash is deterministic (same input always equals same output) the hash function will create the same index into your seed list. So, as long as the same seed list is being used for both databases, you will get the same result. 

The only caution here is that you want to make sure that both DBs are storing the data the same way. If one of the DBs pads a field with spaces, or if they are not stored in the same case, they will not hash the same. i.e "Bob" is different from "Bob  " is different from "BOB".

• 3.  Re: Is it possible hashlov function mask the data from two different source?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 10:09 AM

Brian, thank you for your explanation. And maybe you can tell me why there is no hashlov function for MS SQL Server for Transformation Map?

thanks in advance

• 4.  Re: Is it possible hashlov function mask the data from two different source?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 10:33 AM

Elka - That is an excellent question. I had thought it was present, but just went back and checked at the customer site I am on and did not see any HASHLOV functions for SQL server in TDM 3.8 transformation maps. If I can get over to a newer version, I will check there. I'll also take a look at FDM. 

Thanks,

Bri

• 5.  Re: Is it possible hashlov function mask the data from two different source?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Brain - i looked for and didn't find HASHLOV for MS SQL Server for transformation map in TDM 4.2. I checked hashlov  in FDM for MSSQL and Oracle - all works properly. Thank you very match.