Test Data Manager

View Only

Tech Tip: Why are there so many releases? I have a stable environment- Do I need to upgrade? When should I upgrade?

• 1.  Tech Tip: Why are there so many releases? I have a stable environment- Do I need to upgrade? When should I upgrade?

Posted Jan 08, 2016 12:55 PM

You may have noticed that CA Test Data Manager has had an increase in the number of releases we put out and that CA Support will often recommend upgrading to a newer version of the product. We would like to take the time to explain our process and reasoning behind this change.

Why are there so many releases?

CA has moved to using the Agile development cycle. As a result of this, we are doing monthly releases to provide timely fixes to customers. These monthly releases are tested general availability (GA).You certainly do not have to upgrade each month we do a release, but you will have the option to do so. With having frequent releases, your company will be able to choose when they want to upgrade their environments. Using the Agile development cycle and having monthly releases enables us to provide timely fixes, new features, upgrades, and over time, a more stable product to our customers.

I have a stable environment. Do I need to upgrade?

Not necessarily. We do not want you to feel obligated to upgrade your product environment if you are satisfied with how it is working. If you are currently not experiencing any issues, but want to take advantage some of the new features being released, then you are welcome to upgrade.

When should I upgrade?

If you have a bug fix in the upcoming monthly release, and it is mandatory to have it before you can progress, or if it is of high priority and business impact, then you are able to upgrade. If it is more convenient to only upgrade every 6 months or a year because of the time it takes to implement and test the upgrade for your company, then you have the power to do that as well.

Will I know the date of the release each month?

As much as we would like to give you a set date that the new version of the product will be released each month, we cannot, as it will vary based on the scope of that month's release. However, if you do have a support case open with us on a much anticipated bug fix, we will be able to update you on the progress of the bug and which release the fix will be provided in.

If you have any questions about upgrades, please comment on this post, or create a new one, and we will reply back as soon as possible.