Test Data Manager

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

• 1.  Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Mar 02, 2015 07:41 PM

When you launch Data Finder (DataMaker) and if you encounter the message “Unable to connect service layer”, it means that either the Data Finder SOAP web service layer has not been set up correctly (or service not started) – or has not been configured at all. The service layer is typically used to enable features such as Test Data on Demand (TDoD).

If you do not intend to configure the service layer for your environment and would like to disable the “Unable to connect service layer” message during startup, perform the following steps. Note that you need to have Data Finder Administrator privileges in order to do so.

1.    1. Launch DataMaker and click OK when the “Unable to connect service layer” message is displayed.

unable to connect service layer.png

2    2. From the DataMaker menu, click “Security” -> “Users and Groups”. Log in with your Administrator credentials.

3. Click on the “Service Layer” tab and uncheck the "Enable Service Layer Integration" option.

unable to connect service layer 2.png

4. Click on the blue save icon on the right to save these settings.

• 2.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2015 07:49 PM

Great tip. Thanks for posting.

• 3.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Mar 03, 2015 12:36 PM

Another reason you get this message is when the service did not start successfully usually because the repository database is down or not completely started. This can be an issue when the repository lives on the same server as Datafinder.

Use the Services screen to locate the Grid-Tools TDoD Service and set startup mode to  Automatic (Delayed Start)

This gives the Repository a chance to get going before TDoD tries to connect.

If you launch Datafinder immediately after a reboot then  you might still get the message if the service is still waiting to start.

• 4.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Mar 03, 2015 12:43 PM

Greg - Thanks for the additional information!

• 5.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Apr 25, 2015 06:22 AM

Helpful tip Sameer.

Could you please help to know if there is any complete step by step configuration guide for Service Layer setup? In my organization there is partial setup done for service layer. Not able to use TDoD or any related functionality.

Also, for Agile Designer and Data Visualizer which service layer URL should be used?

Thanks,

Rajo

• 6.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Apr 27, 2015 03:36 PM

Hi RaJo,

What repository Database does your organization use - Oracle or MS SQL Server? Depending on that, I will be able to share the appropriate configuration steps for TDOD service layer setup.

I am also working on getting you the service layer URLs for Agile Designer and Data Visualizer. Unless someone else here has that information ready, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 7.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Apr 27, 2015 08:26 PM

Hi Sameer,

Thanks for your response.

Datafinder repository is on MS SQL server in my organization.

Thanks,

RaJo

• 8.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Apr 29, 2015 06:51 PM

Hi RaJo,

Thanks for the information. Instead of posting the TDOD service layer configuration document on the Communities, in order to ensure that you always have access to an updated version of the document - it will be posted on the Grid-Tools Knowledge Center shortly (http://www.grid-tools-knowledge.com//GTlogin.php). You can sign up for an account at http://info.grid-tools.com/access-knowledge-centre. I will keep you posted on when the document becomes available on the site.

Alternatively, if you wish to have the document sooner, please open a Support case at https://support.ca.com and we'll pass it on to you.

To answer the second part of your question, the URL for Agile Designer and Data Visualizer should match the service layer URL found in the TDoD Config Editor (Configure Portal tab). It's usually set to http://<<machine_name>>:8090/GTService or http://localhost:8090/GTService.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 9.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Nov 21, 2016 05:34 AM

Hi Sammer,

I couldn't see save button in Service Layer tab. I am using 3.6.100.30 version. Can you please help.

• 10.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Nov 21, 2016 05:57 AM

Hi Sammer,

I was able sse the button, after updating the Primary Service URL, and restarting the service still i am getting the error unable to connect to service layer. I have verified the service status, it was set to Running.

Please help.

• 11.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Nov 21, 2016 11:56 AM

Hi Raju,

Can you confirm that the value of Primary Service URL in Datamaker matches with the value of "Service URL" under the "Configure Portal" tab of the TDoD configuration editor (accessible from "C:\Grid-Tools\TDoD\TDoD_ConfigEditor" by default)?

Once you confirm that, try entering this URL in your Web browser:

http://localhost:8090/?wsdl

(This assumes that your TDoD service in running on your local system and on port 8090. If different, then change those values in the above URL)

This should load the WSDL for the service in your web browser.

If you are still facing issues after trying these two steps, please open a support ticket and we will guide you further.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 12.  Re: Getting rid of "Unable to connect Service layer" message while launching Data Finder

Posted Nov 22, 2016 08:34 AM

For future reference, I have written a knowledge document on this error message. It can be viewed at http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1766582.html