Harvest

View Only
  • 1.  Item versions with large number of changes

Posted Jun 19, 2021 09:40 AM
    Hi,

When a developers makes a lot of changes to an item in the development state, the version number increases rapidly. Is there a way to consolidate the version numbers? In other words, once a developer is happy to promote the item, then only increase the version number of the item in question?

Regards,
    Jarus

• 2.  RE: Item versions with large number of changes

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2021 07:59 AM
    Hello Jarus,

We do not support such option. As every change has to be tracked, creating version for every change is expected.

You can try creating branch versions for all changes and merge to trunk only when u want. This way you can have less trunk versions.

Thanks,
    Sridhar

• 3.  RE: Item versions with large number of changes

Posted Jun 21, 2021 08:25 AM
    Hi Sridhar - I was actually thinking of using branches. I just don't want to allow concurrent development at this stage, but we'll manage it somehow.

• 4.  RE: Item versions with large number of changes

Posted Jun 21, 2021 08:18 AM
    Hello Jarus,

Why do you want to consolidate the versions? Each of them contains differences with the version that precedes it. That's the charm of version control. Harvest only saves the delta of the change, so you have optimized the use of the database.

The previous answer from Sridhar, can be applied too. It implies use of Concurrent programming schema.

Regards,

------------------------------
    Tania Moreno R.
    Coordinador regional de soporte
    eSoft Colombia SAS
    ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Item versions with large number of changes

Posted Jun 21, 2021 08:27 AM
    Hi Tania,

Thanks for your reply.

Some of our developers will do hundreds of check-ins on the same item in one or two days, before promoting it to the next state. We don't want to keep ALL of those as separate versions. I think Sridhar's suggestion of keeping them in a branch and then merging to trunk is a good solution.

Kind regards,
    Jarus