Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

REST API WADL

• 1.  REST API WADL

Posted Sep 20, 2018 10:48 AM

Hi,

I am looking for a REST API wadl of version 6.4.0.10011. Please let me know where/how can I access the same. It seems documentation available in PDFs/website etc is not complete/fully helpful to me. I wish to explore different tasks which we can perform using APIs and use them in Python etc. which we are writing in our organisation.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Gigras

• 2.  Re: REST API WADL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2018 11:35 AM

Hello,

According to the 6.5 documentation (I didn't check other versions) it looks like you can access the wsdl's from: http://yourNac:8080/datamanagement/ws 

Documentation: 

SOAP API Reference - CA Release Automation - 6.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: REST API WADL

Posted Sep 20, 2018 12:07 PM

Thanks Gregg for the quick response. But WSDLs are for SOAP APIs. I am looking for something similar WADL for REST APIs.

• 4.  Re: REST API WADL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2018 12:15 PM

Ahh. Interesting. Never heard of it. Sorry about that. Based on a search in the doc it doesn't seem like any such resource is available. I'll check on this end to see if anyone is aware of something. 

While a wadl might not be available, does the swagger api documentation help? Later versions (at least 6.4) have a swagger doc page that outlines the supported rest calls, lets you fill in parameter values, and test the api. You can get to it by logging into the ROC interface and clicking on the help menu. 

Regards,

Gregg

• 5.  Re: REST API WADL

Posted Sep 20, 2018 12:31 PM

Thanks again Gregg. But I already explored SWAGGER thing but that is again replica of what is there in documentation with added benefit of testing them right away.

I believe Jacky knows about the APIs which I need because I see he has replied to some posts on community where people asked for specific APIs and Jacky gave them the ones which were not there in documentation. 

One such API is as follows :

http://NACHOST:NACPORT/datamanagement/a/environments/<env_id>/parameters which provides a list of all parameters in an environment.

I used this for one of my small python. Now looking to exploit python more for such things. Hence, the need for all REST APIs.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Gigras

• 6.  Re: REST API WADL
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 20, 2018 12:40 PM

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for clarifying a bit. As for something that lists all APIs available, the only thing that I'm aware of is the doc/swagger which specifically documents the public APIs that are supported. The other APIs, while technically available, are not public and use of them is discouraged since they were not made public for a reason - of which might include that they might change between versions. With that said, sometimes what I might do to see what API is being called under the hood is to do what I'm trying to do via the ROC while google chrome's developer extension shows me more detail.

I'm not hopeful that a document listing all APIs (besides those already publicly documented) will be furnished. 

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 7.  Re: REST API WADL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2018 03:07 AM

I agreed with Gregg.

We know we can support /datamanagement/a/api only.  REST like /datamanagement/a/environments is used internally.

REST API Reference - CA Release Automation - 6.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The base URL for the available services is:

http://<host>:<port>/datamanagement/a/api

The REST API documentation is available directly in your deployment of CA Release Automation at the following URL:

http://<host>:<port>/datamanagement/#rest_api

Although I don't recommend, you may find the internal used URL in nolio_requests.log on NAC.

Regards

Yas

• 8.  Re: REST API WADL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2018 03:11 AM

Hi Abhishek,

Just to add to Yas reply please avoid using internal API's used by product as I have seen that they only work from context of product and if called externally are actual refused as CORS request and denied to be served by server.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 9.  Re: REST API WADL

Posted Sep 21, 2018 06:12 AM

Sure Saurabh, I get your point. And will try to use the APIs in worst case scenarios and with due care.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Gigras

• 10.  Re: REST API WADL

Posted Sep 21, 2018 06:10 AM

Thanks Yas for your response. Yeahhh, I already checked the APIs in nolio_requests.log too.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Gigras

• 11.  Re: REST API WADL

Posted Sep 21, 2018 06:09 AM

Thanks Gregg, I already explored the Developer Tools option in Chrome. But was looking for a comprehensive list of all APIs. I understand the reason now why they are not in official Docs etc. I will continue to explore them using Developer Tools in Chrome.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Gigras