Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Restrictions on which agents can be selected as retrieval agent for artifact version

Posted Oct 17, 2018 03:58 PM

What are the restrictions on which agents can be selected as retrieval agents for an artifact version? Is it limited to only the agents which the logged in user has permission for through an agent server group?

From some testing, it looks as if that is the case, however I don't remember that there has always been this limitation. I seem to remember in earlier RA versions users could select any agent as a retrieval agent. If there weren't always restrictions at what point did this change?

We are running RA 6.5.0.10109.

• 2.  Re: Restrictions on which agents can be selected as retrieval agent for artifact version

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 04:16 AM

Hi,

I verified following RA. To set agents to agent groups was required to use as retrieval agent on all version. So, it seems this behavior is not changed recently.

If an agent is belong to Agent Groups on ROC or ASAP, I could see the agent in Agents list.

On the other hand, I found one different behavior between RA 6.5 (or later) and 6.4 (or earlier) in my verification.

I don't know the reason at this stage.

On RA 6.4, I could select agent to create new group on ROC even if the agent is not configured in Automation Studio.

On RA 6.5, I could not see agents in ROC when agents are not existed in Agent Group in ASAP.

Currently, agent groups defined using ASAP or ROC are mixed. According to our plan, all of ASAP features will be moved to ROC. So, I suppose side effect during the transition.

> Agent Assignment: Only Agent Group defined by ASAP

> Retrieval Agents: Only Agent Group defined by ROC.

Regards

Yas

• 3.  Re: Restrictions on which agents can be selected as retrieval agent for artifact version

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 10:08 PM

Hi,

Did my reply answer to your question?

If so, please mark my reply.

Thanks in advance.

Yas

• 4.  Re: Restrictions on which agents can be selected as retrieval agent for artifact version

Posted Oct 25, 2018 12:54 PM

Just to confirm, you are talking about the agents that a user can see and then select in the artifact version screen as a retrieval agent? Is this based on the permissions this user has to 

In the scenario I am talking about, there is a (non superuser) user (user1), there are two ASAP server groups (group1 and group2) and there are two agents (agent1 and agent2). agent1 is in group1, agent2 is in group2. If user1 only has permissions to server group group1 in the artifact version screen as options to select for retrieval agent would the user see only agent1 or would they see both agents? And has this behaviour changed in versions before 6.5?

We recently upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5 and I think the behaviour has been changed in this upgrade, as I think that users used to be able to select agents despite permissions through ASAP agent groups.

• 5.  Re: Restrictions on which agents can be selected as retrieval agent for artifact version
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2018 02:52 AM

Hi Luke,

I checked RA 6.3 - 6.6 again.

It seems your understanding is right. 

Step of my verification:

1. One agent is belong to Group1_ASAP. Another one is in Group2_ASAP.

2. Set permission of Group1_ASAP only to a user.

3. Login the user and try to add version for artifact.

6.3, 6.4

6.5, 6.6

I could not find the document regarding this change.

If you need, please add your comment to DocOps. Technical writer will review and improve our document.

New Features and Enhancements - CA Release Automation - 6.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

By the way, if you configure Agent Group on ROC, the user can select the agent group even if the user doesn't have permission for agent. Please consider to implement agent group on ROC.

Thanks

Yas