Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

• 1.  Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Posted Apr 13, 2017 09:20 AM

Jenkins Version: 2.53

CARA Version: 6.2.0.3029

I'm trying to use the CA Release Automation (CARA) Jenkins plugin to kick off a deployment after performing a build in Jenkins.  The build completes successfully and the deployment does initialize in CARA.  However, the deployment fails at the pre-deployment stage with distribution errors.  Attached is a screenshot of a error that CARA pops up during the deployment, stack trace from the CARA logs.  Please let me know if you would like additional information and I can see what I can provide.

Jenkins Console Output:

Status of deployment [ContactManager_CARA_Test49_DEV03] on environment [DEV03] : Active. Stage Status: Current Stage: Distribute-Execution-Server, Current stage Status: Pending, Description: 0% Pending Artifacts Distribution (With errors). Stage Error Details: ["Failed to download artifact [Artifact [ ContactManager.WARFile'ver. ContactManager_CARA_TEST-49']] to retrieval agent [*OMITTED*]. Local agent error is [Retrieval action failed - Source file does not exist - ab.war]"] You can resolve the error then resume the execution from RA.

Attachment(s)

zip
    CARA Stack Trace.txt.zip   2 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Posted Apr 13, 2017 09:31 AM

Can you verify that the artfact is properly configured in RA and the retrieval agent can reach it?

• 3.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Posted Apr 13, 2017 03:52 PM

Isn't this the question I'm asking about?  Do you have instructions on what I can do to verify what you are asking for?

• 4.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Posted Apr 13, 2017 11:09 AM

Hi,

Can you please validate 

to the environment in RA

Regards,

Manju

• 5.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Posted Apr 13, 2017 03:50 PM

Yep this matches up.  I don't think this will be the issue anyways since it never actually hits the deployment and fails at the pre-deployment stage.

• 6.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 04:12 PM

Hi

Do you have some details on the RA architecture? If the retrieval agent is connected to a different nes than the target agent you will need to ensure you have defined the nes routing. can you confirm if both agents are connected to the same nes?

regards

keith

• 7.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Posted Jun 05, 2017 07:10 AM

Hi can you please share me if you have any document to integrate jenkins with CA release automation.

1) How the integration happens between Jenkins and CA release automation, do you need to specify the host name and password as u mentioned in the screen shot.

-> Just provided the hostname and password

-> here itself we need to create deployment catagoery , type and build details ?

so once after this we can go ahead a login CA to check the process? Is this the flow can you please explain me.

Thanks in advance.

• 8.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2017 08:25 AM

Hi,

Please find document which can be of help in integrating Jenkins with CARA.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-release-automation/integrations/en/plug-ins/jenkins-plug-in

Regards,

Saurabh

• 9.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 24, 2017 08:25 AM

Hi

Did the answer provided answered your question? If it did please mark it as the right answer.
    When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.

With Kind Regards

• 10.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?
    Best Answer

Posted May 24, 2017 08:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.  I was able to find the solution to this problem.  I had the wrong local file path in my artifact package xml.

• 11.  Re: Why is CARA failing to download artifact when deploying through Jenkins?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 01:26 PM

Glad it was resolved!  I would like to share one additional detail, just in case you run into this in the future, because I ran into a similar situation recently myself.

If a deployment called via the RA plugin for Jenkins fails at artifact distribution/retrieval, the fastest/easiest test to help you quickly identify the cause of the problem is to test retrieval in ROC.  Setup the artifact in ROC then check the box "store in local repository", designating the same agent you chose in Jenkins.  If it returns a success message, then something is likely wrong on the Jenkins side of the configuration, but if it fails, you then know there's a problem solely on the RA end.

In my case, checking that box resulted in a failure message, and I was able to isolate it to a specific agent.  That definitely helps in troubleshooting.