Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Moving from a single Management/Execution server to separate servers

Posted Aug 28, 2017 02:13 PM

My company has a single Nolio server acting as the Management and Execution server, and then around 50 agents. We've had this configuration for a number of years, without much issue. We may not be using the product as other organizations do, because of our product's architecture and outside requirements, but we typically have only 3 processes running on any of the agents at a time, and maybe 200 to 400 processes run a day. The last time I had contacted CA Support to troubleshoot an issue, they casually mentioned that they typically recommend running these on separate Management and Execution servers.

I'm thinking that with the new CA Release Automation 6.5 release, it would be a good time to get into the recommended configuration. In a test environment, I built out our existing system setup, CA Release Automation 6.1 on a single box, and then restored our production DB into that environment. The upgrade to 6.5 went well, and then I did a Execution Server installation of 6.5 on another server. I got that new Execution Server hooked up into CA RA (Nolio), and then moved the agents into that Execution Server. That seems to be very straight forward and easily accomplished.

I'm left wondering if there is still an Execution Server running on the upgraded Management server that was formerly the all-in-one Management/Execution server? Is that now unused Execution Server sucking up a small amount of resources? Is there any value in getting that disabled or turned off? I didn't see a unique process/service for Management vs Execution.

Thanks for any insight.

• 2.  Re: Moving from a single Management/Execution server to separate servers

Posted Aug 28, 2017 03:06 PM

One easy way to tell for sure what is running is to check in ASAP.   Administration --> Agent Management will display all execution servers currently running.

• 3.  Re: Moving from a single Management/Execution server to separate servers
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2017 11:14 AM

Hi ,

Yes you still have a execution server running on the NAC server.

The execution server runs as a instance in tomcat and is indeed using a small amount of resources.

As it does not have any agents it will not be using any additional resources when you start deploying

I don;t think there is much value in disabling the execution service as the impact would be very limited .

Regards

Dirk

• 4.  Re: Moving from a single Management/Execution server to separate servers

Posted Aug 29, 2017 11:42 AM

Thank you.  That's what I wanted to know.