Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

• 1.  How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Posted Aug 31, 2016 04:55 PM

Hi all 

I have a workflow that runs on multiple servers simultaneously. I need the workflow to stop as soon as it fails on any one of the servers. Currently it will just continue to run even if it fails. Any suggestions.

• 2.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Posted Sep 01, 2016 02:03 AM

You can run flow on second server type that check the status of the deployment and if the status is running with errors it should failed the deployment (Use ROC - failed deployment action) 

• 3.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Posted Sep 01, 2016 12:01 PM

I have seen even after using the ROC - Fail Deployment action the workflow continues to proceed. The action merely marks the deployment as failed but the workflow doesnot stop. Any suggestions on that 

• 4.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Posted Sep 01, 2016 12:23 PM

Does the workflow include more many actions or just one or two?

The current running action will run an only the rest of the step should be stop.

Another option is to use stop release API 

• 5.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Posted Sep 01, 2016 12:28 PM

My workflow consists of a lot of actions. Can you provide more details on the stop release API. 

• 6.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 01, 2016 12:31 PM

• 7.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Posted Sep 01, 2016 12:36 PM

I have one more question. I am using multiple server types in the workflow. I want the process to stop on one of the server types which has multiple servers assigned to it. Is there a way of doing it? I mean if it fails on one server I want it to skip the rest of the servers on that particular server type and move to the next server type. Let me know if you understand my query or else I can explain you entirely what i have been working on.

• 8.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Posted Sep 01, 2016 03:18 PM

You can't stop the work on a single server type but the complete process , if you have some way to verify the workflow if failing without reaching failed pause state that you can create logic to cancel the rest of the workflow (You will need to make sure other servers in the same server type will cancel there work as well (This might be complex logic)

• 9.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 04:14 PM

By default I think it is set to run the process on all agent machines of the same server type at the same time. I wonder if setting the server type to concurrently run the process on a maximum of 1 server and then failing the step would yield the result you're after. 

• 10.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2016 03:40 AM

Hi Patil

Did the answers, answered your question? If it did please mark it as the right answer. When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.

With Kind Regards

• 11.  Re: How to stop a workflow on failure for multi server setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2016 06:04 AM

Marked answered as correct from Jacky as it answer the primary question of stop release/process