Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 20, 2016 01:56 AM

Hi,

in CA-RA you have the possibility to define dependencies between deployment steps, I thought that this means the following:

All steps on the same "dependency level" will get executed in parallel and the steps that depend on others, will be executed if the step they depend on succeeds, however the other steps finish.

But it appears that this is implemented differently:

(The success steps only have a delay in it and the failure step has a "roc - fail deployment step" action in it.)

DependencyTestResult.png

I thought step 4 gets executed, because step 2 finished successfully, but it gets canceled because step 3 failed.

WHY?

thanks

michael

• 2.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 20, 2016 02:19 AM

Currently the fail deployment step action will fail the running step and will initiate stop for the complete deployment , so in case other steps didn't started yet, they will be cancel.

schur01 can you add additional information regrading the enhancements we would like to add to this logic?

Thanks

Jacky

• 3.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 20, 2016 02:27 AM

It appears the problem is the server type and the allowed parallel execution. I did a testrun on our DEV where we have 6.1 and the latest patch installed to see if it got fixed but accidentily executed it on a server type that doesn't allow parallel execution. I then re-tried it on our productive 5.5.2.191 version as well and came to the same result:

so, when I run the deployment on a server(type) that does require exclusive execution, the dependencies work as expected:

DependencyTestResult-NonParallel.png

• 4.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 20, 2016 02:47 AM

I think that if Success3 and Success steps will include more actions and will take more time to complete , Success3 step will be cancel/stop 

• 5.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 20, 2016 03:21 AM

same result with a 30s delay

• 6.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 20, 2016 03:26 AM

i now also added another step in between the failed step and the one that depends on another, still the same result, if it gets executed one after another:

DependencyTestResult-NonParallel2.png

so, at the moment my conclusion stays the same, that it is a problem when I allow parallel execution

• 7.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2016 05:01 AM

Hi MichaelGebhardt

We are now working on new capabilities that should address your question. Please let me know if you'd like to know more details and review the design.

Thanks,

Uri

• 8.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 20, 2016 05:11 AM

Hi Uri ( schur01 ),

yes, please let me know, what you have currently planned, we could also do it via PMs if you don't want to publish it here in the community directly.

thanks,

michael

• 9.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 27, 2016 02:38 AM

• 10.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2016 11:16 AM

Hi, just sent you an email on this..

Tnx,

Uri

• 11.  Re: Dependencies between Deployment Steps, what does get canceled and why

Posted Jul 28, 2016 03:10 AM

thanks