Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

• 1.  When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Jun 03, 2016 04:58 PM

I am attempting to upgrade our test environment from RA 5.5.1 to RA 6.1.  I have upgraded my RAC and RES to 6.1 and installed the latest cummulative update (made available 6/2).  I upgraded the RAC's local agent via the agent administration screen in the ASAP with no issues (right-click and select "upgrade selected agent"). 

When I attempt to upgrade any remote agent using the same method, the pop up window says that the files were copied to the agent and that the upgrade has completed, however, after a few seconds the agent shows offline and then does not come back up.  When I log into the local agent, I can see that the version file was upgraded (so the upgrade took place) but I am unable to start the Release Automation Agent service (I am running on Windows Server 2012).  I was working with SWAT and they asked me to rename the Nolio_w.exe.new file to Nolio_w.exe.  This worked as I am now able to start the service and the agent reports in correctly.  I tested and I am able to run all expected actions with the agent. 

Has anyone else run into this or had experience troubleshooting it?  I'm curious about how to resolve this permanently so that I don't run into this issue when upgrading my production environment.

• 2.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2016 08:29 AM

Hi .

We have seen this happens a few times before with windows 2012 remote upgrades , unfortunately without a clear cause.

It seems to be related to security restrictions which prevent the rename because the original file is still in use.

If problem persist i would advice to create a support case so we can look into it in more detail .

Regards

Dirk

• 3.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Jun 20, 2016 03:59 AM

we're having this issue since starting using CA RA, it was said to us, that this is a known issue. so we didn't investigate further.

what I experienced, but might also be coincident: when I'm not trying to update all agents at once via ASAP, but only select up to 5 a time, I didn't run into the problem that often.

we're currently looking into building an administrative service, that runs in parallel on all agents, which might be able to fix this issue automatically, when we trigger it

• 4.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Jul 11, 2016 11:50 AM

We had a similar issue with our upgrade this weekend.  I found the API call worked without having to rename the files.

POST /datamanagement/a/api/v3/upgrade-agents HTTP/1.1

Host: @@ManagementID@@:8080

Body: { "upgradeType": "SPECIFIC_AGENTS", "nodeIds": ["@@nodeID@@"]}

Or you can upgrade all:

{ "upgradeType": "ALL" }

Or upgrade by execution server:

{ "upgradeType": "AGENTS_BY_ES", "nodeIds": ["@@executionID@@"]}

• 5.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Jul 27, 2016 06:14 AM

Hi norak,

do you have input on who should call this API to upgrade the agents? A specific user or doesn't it matter?

I'm asking because we're planing on upgrading to 6.1 in the next weeks and I'm scared because of the renaming issue with the upgrade via ASAP as we have 130+ agents at the moment and quite some in pre-prod and prod environment, where we would need another service to fix the issue, as we don't have access to the machines

if the API does it without the renaming, this would be awesome.

thanks

michael

• 6.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Jul 27, 2016 08:50 AM

I just did a quick test, but I have the same issue with the ".new" suffix when using the API instead of ASAP, so the API call doesn't help

• 7.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Aug 15, 2016 05:46 AM

Hi All

Can you please confirm that the Application Experience service is not disabled on the agent machine?
    It can be set to manual and in stopped state.

I found that this can cause the problem with renaming nolio_w.exe.new to nolio_w.exe

Thanks

Jacky

• 8.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Aug 18, 2016 08:31 AM

We had this happen when upgrading to RA 5.5 SP2.  Upgrading 600 agents took all day!

All of our servers are running Windows and the Application Experience service on all of them is set to Manual and is stopped.

I have a support ticket in with CA and do not plan on upgrading to RA 6.x until this has a resolution.

• 9.  Re: When attempting to remote upgrade agents, nolio_w.exe.new does not get renamed to nolio_w.exe.  Any one else seeing this or had experience troubleshooting it?

Posted Oct 31, 2016 07:27 AM

I thought I'm just putting this here:

I now updated from 5.5.2 to 6.2 on our productive system, which included 185 Agents. On 51 of them the upgrade failed, on 49 of those the issue was the .exe renaming problem.