Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Install RA 552 Agent on network file system in Unix Platform

Posted Jan 18, 2016 01:55 AM

Hi,

can we install RA 552 Agent on network file system in Unix Platform?

We want to install agent on a GPFS(Network File system) and start the agent process on all the unix vm's or machines wherever this network filesystem and files are visible.

• 2.  Re: Install RA 552 Agent on network file system in Unix Platform

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 18, 2016 05:26 PM

Hello,

Please refer to our product documentation regarding supported platforms, which for the latest version 5.5.2, can be found here: Supported Platforms - CA Release Automation - 5.5.2 - CA Technologies Documentation

The above documentation lists all operating systems currently supporting, including *nix variants.

Regarding GPFS, my understanding is that is an IBM-specific file system, and as far as I'm aware I don't think it is officially supported (it is not mentioned in the above link of officially supported platforms) -- at least it hasn't been tested on that file system to my knowledge. That doesn't mean it can't run, but I don't have a means of officially saying yay or nay to that with any certainty.

• 3.  Re: Install RA 552 Agent on network file system in Unix Platform

Posted Jan 18, 2016 09:27 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Yes you are correct GPFS is a clustered filesystem developed by IBM.

We have other applications relying on Veritas Cluster for Clustered Filesystem (Network File System). So our question is even a bit deeper in this.

For Ex:

We had two Unix Hosts host1 and host2. And there is Clustered filesystem (active-active) which is visible on both the hosts.

I.e. I will do installation on Clustered Filesystem on Host1 and wanted to start agent in both host1 and host2.

Is it possible for two agent process share the same set of binary and config files but running on a different unix hosts?

• 4.  Re: Install RA 552 Agent on network file system in Unix Platform
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2016 11:47 AM

Hello,

From a product support standpoint I have confirmed that neither scenario (agent installs on GPFS/NFS shared by multiple agent machines & agent installs on GPFS/NFS using their own unique install folder) have been tested/certified. Therefore they are not supported. If you would like these scenarios certified then please submit an Idea to the community for it to be considered by product management in future releases.

Kind regards,

Gregg