Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  How to move files between managed systems

Posted Apr 25, 2016 02:32 PM

Hi guys!

I'm sure this is an easy one.  What action would you use to move files between managed system? would you use the "move files or folders" action? I mean, wouldn't this force us to use the ip address (or network name) as part of the "Source path" and "Target path"? for instance if I want to move from "c:\temp\file.txt" in server A to "/home/myuser/Desktop/file.txt" in server B do I need to run the action in server A with c:\temp\file.txt as Source Path and something like "root@A:/home/myuser/Desktop/file.txt" as Target Path?

I hope I made myself somehow clear enough!!

Thanks!

Patricio

• 2.  Re: How to move files between managed systems
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 25, 2016 04:08 PM

One way to copy files between agents that running on different OS type  is by using get file or folder from remote agent action.

This will use RA networking to copy the file.

If both agentsrunning with the same OS type you can use copy files or folders action or move files or folders action (assuming you have share/mount point  that one server can access the other one)

Thanks

Jacky

• 3.  Re: How to move files between managed systems

Posted Apr 25, 2016 08:14 PM

I think the "Get file from remote agent" will do the trick! I'll try it!

thanks

Patricio

• 4.  Re: How to move files between managed systems

Posted Apr 26, 2016 09:50 AM

I’ve used “put file” and “get file” from remote systems many times, they are VERY helpful to transfer files between different OS’s and file systems…..and doesn’t require network access, either, so it can be run by an agent running as a local system account…..

Which I use depends on which agent has all the correct path parameters

Chip Rabinowitz

Senior Enterprise DevOps Architect

A&I Solutions

702-443-7520